Are single coil covers universal?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by veryzer, Feb 14, 2015.

1. veryzer

veryzer Member

I have a set of Fralins and I need black covers. Will any do? Are they standardized?

Thanks

2. 5992

5992 Member

I don't believe so. For a long time I collected parts, and had lots of single coils I picked up from various places. Not all the covers would fit all the pickups. You might contact Fralin to see which (if any) are compatible with his pickups.

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

No they are not, but Fender covers should fit Fralin pickups unless they are especially tall, or an odd spread on the magnets. I would email Lindy and ask as well.

4. veryzer

veryzer Member

I'll do that. Thanks guys.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The only difference I ever saw was when using Duncan Quarter Pound pickups. I drilled the holes on a standard cover, and had to shave the bobbins a little too, to make the fit. I wanted the pickup to be under a vintage white cover like the other two normal ones, and not have the bridge pickup be black. A little work, but worth it IMO.

6. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I'm interested in this thread as I want a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue without the logo on top. Thinking about buying one and replacing the cover.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

USA pickups are fairly "standard", duncan, dimarzio, USA fender etc. covers will fit. (not dimarzio's taller covers made for their stacked pickups though)