• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Are single coil pickup rings hideous or not? Need opinions

MadAsAHatter

I’m trying to decide if I want to use/buy a single coil pickup ring or not. This is 100% an aesthetic thing. I never cared for the look of direct mount pickups because it feels unfinished to me. On the flip side most single coil rings look cheap and tacky; especially if using one of those humbucker to single adapter rings. If I go with a pickup ring I’d probably use one of these two since it doesn’t look as bad as others and would match the pickguard I’ll be using.

So any thoughts or opinions? Which would you choose to do, direct mount or pickup ring?

GT1-Reach

I personally don't like em'. My main Guitar is/will be partscaster using a Charvel DK22 body and i really like the clean look without rings.

Pickups are height adjustable via tubing around the screws on the DK22 btw.

But i think they can look classy, Tom Mckenzie got a youtube video about a Warmoth partscaster i think, he is using rings and it works.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Your pics aren't showing up for me.

But generally, I am not a fan of direct-mount pickups either (when it comes to traditional Fender-style single coils). If you're going for a simple, unadorned look, maybe they're the way to go; but for most guitars I'd go with the rings.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I’m trying to decide if I want to use/buy a single coil pickup ring or not. This is 100% an aesthetic thing. I never cared for the look of direct mount pickups because it feels unfinished to me. On the flip side most single coil rings look cheap and tacky; especially if using one of those humbucker to single adapter rings. If I go with a pickup ring I’d probably use one of these two since it doesn’t look as bad as others and would match the pickguard I’ll be using.

So any thoughts or opinions? Which would you choose to do, direct mount or pickup ring?
Not for me.

stevel

ewww. I didn't even know they existed. Why should they? Who thought of these monstrosities? :banana

But I suppose they could look good on the right guitar and in the right situation.

DonP

I saw an older Carvin HS guitar for sale that had a ring around the neck single. That turned me off.

Oinkus

I put a metal pickup ring set on my customized HSH HM Strat and it really couldn't matter less. Pic isn't very close due to crappy camera.

TopJimmy5150

I've seen some Ibanez Roadstars with them. I'm not offended by them.

I'm a pickguard guy (Except for my Gibbys, of course).

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I used a humbucker-to-tele conversion ring to put a tele pickup in a Les Paul once. It was ugly. I don’t know what I was thinking. Lol.

Mikhael

I use single-coil mounting rings on one of my guitars because the edges of the cavity got really beat up. I think it sounds a little better (could be confirmation bias), but it does look a little better, and protects the guitar from whatever the heck I'm doing to beat it up. I will say that I don't prefer the look, but when I'm playing it I don't care, and it's better for the guitar.

gunslinger

You know if single coils had originally come with their own separate pickup rings. And then someone would have come out with one large piece of plastic like Fender used. People would have said it didn't look right. And that it covered too much of the body wood. Long story short it's whatever you are used to.

spacevato

Ugly as sin.

That said, I also don't like that on guitars without a pickguard the odd shape of the bottom fiberboard is visible. Tele bridge pickups are particularly ugly. I wish all Strat and Tele single coils looked like this:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom