Are smaller versions the same as the bigger ones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Baba Louie, May 23, 2015.

1. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

i asked my girlfriend, and she said she doesn't think so.
    A lot of pedal manufacturers make smaller versions of their regular sized pedals. Do they sound the same? Do they have to use less, and maybe inferior components to get it all in a small box? I know that sometimes, they make a smaller version that might not have all of the bells and whistles that the regular version has, but what about the foundation of the pedal, which would be the basic sound it makes. I noticed that Fulltone makes a mini Deja Vibe. Does it sound as good as the big one? And TC makes mini versions of almost all their pedals...do they sound as good as their big brothers, just without all of the controls and options? (Not that all TC pedals sound great).
    I'm a basic kind of effects user, I don't go for wild sounds, and I don't need to manipulate the parameters in real time. Me, I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy. I just want 1 good chorus sound, and be able to turn it on or off. (I have the TC SCF for chorus...I love it, and I think it sounds great, I would never part with it, no expression pedal Jack, I don't need it). I want 1 good Univibe sound, I don't need to change the speed or depth or anything while I'm playing, I just turn it on or off. (I do use a couple of different delay sound types and settings, though). the Deja Vibe mini gonna sound just as good (or bad, depending on your opinion of the pedal) as the regular Deja Vibe? What about other pedals..
    .I'm not asking for advice on a good sounding vibe pedal, btw. I was just using the Deja Vibe as an example.

Slevin likes this.
  2. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

Based on your description, I think the differences between small and large versions of pedals (if there are any at all) will be inconsequential to your enjoyment of the effect. I'm sure there are exceptions. I hear a lot that the Small Stone Nano is **** compared to the big box version.

3. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

Ibanez have a TubeScreamer mini, now. I am tempted to get one.
    Rimrock Effects has a Mythical Overdrive "mini", too: the Lil' MO (I own one)

ejkennedy likes this.
  4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

They are essentially the same. But the key to miniaturizing the circuit is designing an SMT circuit board and sourcing the parts. There could be some variation in the spec of some resistors, caps, and diodes. SMT version of op amps and ICs are bound to have some variation. The tolerance of the tinier pots might be different.
    In all, there could be as much audible variation between 2 full sized stock TS-9's as between a full sized and a mini TS-9.

The other notable difference is durability, repair potential and the world of mods. I doubt you would find any geek that would enjoy modding a mini pedal with an SMT pcb.

5. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

Don't forget the size/quality of potentiometers.

6. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Depends. The mini EHX Holy Grail is pretty awful compared to the big box version. I had an older big box for a while and wanted the little one to make things easier (rather than having to set up the big one independently each time, since it was way too tall for my board). The little one sounded really tinny and metallic next to the big one. I couldn't live with it....it went back the next day.

7. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

Just last week I lined up an 808RI, ts9, mini TS, EDIT: also a 808HW, and an original 808. The mini had the weakest EQ signature. Still sounded good. Sounds just like a TS but with less umph. It would be the most stand out, stringy and tinny guitar tone in a mix if that's what you wanted. I've always thought TS's did that enough. The mini TS does it slightly more. DISCLAIMER:
    These are just opinions and also, I'm not a huge TS fan (which I personally think makes my opinion on the variations more neutral and unbiased:)

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

There's some that I would trust more than others, usually the small builders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Probably depends on the pedal.

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Yes, it really depends on the pedal. The Fulltones, for example, I have seen I wouldn't exactly call that 'miniaturized' because the pots and key parts were all visible on the circuitboard. Same with Lumpy's.

It helps to know a little about electronics, so you can tell by looking. It also helps to have heard a lot of pedals, including same pedal in side-by-side comparison, so you can tell by hearing.

Where you draw the line is a personal choice. If you think the space/weight is an issue, then ask yourself just how critically are you going to listen to it.

TGP is kinda known for listening critically ( hyper-critically? ) so you will get more respondants claiming that bigger IS better. I can usuallay hear A DIFFERENCE. In most cases I suspect YOU will be able to hear a difference.

What you do with that knowledge is up to you. Does a miniaturixed flanger still flange? Well, yes. Analog vs. digital? Well it depends on the sound you want, not the pedal or size if it.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  11. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Space or weight is never an issue. If the pedal is good, I don't care how big it is, I'm gonna keep it around. I can't say the same thing for my girlfriend.

12. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I don't really care how big a pedal is. My new one coming next week is a Cali76, and its a BIG pedal. I don't care. It sounds great. Now, if it was like 2 feet long, 50 lbs, then, yeah, I might draw the line. (Depending on how good it sounds.) our amps are bigger than that. I was just curious if the smaller ones compromised tone for space savings. I would never buy a smaller version of a pedal, anyway, because the price difference isn't probably gonna be that much. I'd rather just pay the $75 bucks extra, and get the one that has everything. And I'm not rich, or well-to-do. Even if I don't tweak controls in real time, or try to make alien space monkey sounds, I'd rather just have the original pedal, and, if I ever want the extra control, well, then I have it. Probably easier to get rid of when you get sick of it, too. Can't say that about my girlfriend, either.

Squatch57 likes this.
  13. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I prefer big pedals 'cos I'm a size 14 bigfoot
    I might get a Slow Engine though 'cos there doesn't seem to be any other options (cheep)

14. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Now that you say that, I can bring up something to bitch about.

These companies they make these pedal looper floorboxes, man, they make em too small. The button switches are too close to each other. I have a midi switcher floor thingy, and I'm always hitting the wrong button...(my girlfriend bitches about that, too). They need to space these things out a little more, for clumsy people like me. I know there are companies that make them with more space between the switches, but I don't have one. And I've been spending so much money on gear lately, I ain't footing out (haha) $500 clams for a bigger floor controller. Not today, anyway.

Squatch57 likes this.
  15. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I'm gonna find me a girlfriend with small feet, and have her stand in front of me at my shows, and I'll just tell her when to hit the switch.

16. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

The good thing is you can get big pedals cheap sometimes because they don't suit the Ipod-ites out there
    I got this switcher cheap on a runout deal because it was too big for most people

[​IMG]

17. fdesalvo

fdesalvo Member

Man, maybe it's late or the solder fumes have finally gotten to me, but reading this line and looking at your avatar almost made me spit out my coffee. I was half expecting to see a giant, furry foot next to your switcher.

Squatch57 likes this.
  18. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I'm just gonna have the girl do it.

19. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I'd even swap my Blue Boy Deluxe for the big box version (even though the small ones are rarer)