Are some pedals just too ugly/vulgar for your board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gilwater, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Same... I thought it was a flower, too.

As someone with a red-haired partner, I approve of this pedal.

Wolfboy1, pomfret and Michigan guitar like this.
  2. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

It might be offensive but it nails the Queef Richards tone

Not Orange and jamester like this.
  3. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

EHX Holy Grail Max - the best reverse reverb in a pedal I've encountered.

4. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

I couldn't read the name of the pedal
    Byot? Bysst? Byrost? WTF is this?
    I get the idea behind this sort of embellishments, but that's just poor design

StratmanSteve and Laservampire like this.
  5. Gilwater

Gilwater Member

While it doesn't really influence my buying, I've found that I have certain expectations for certain types of pedals. Ascetics aside....I tend to expect my phaser to be Orange, my Tube Screamer to be Green, my MIB to be Black/Gold, etc. Not that they have to be, but I've found that I like them that way. Product of years of influence I guess.

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I don't care -- fit and layout is more of a concern to me.

7. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

It's the blurst name ever.

8. schizo910

schizo910 Member

I build pedals as a hobby, no intentions of doing it commercially. So no I don't do orders, or customs and no this is no spam... But I do sell my pedals if they've been sitting on the shelve to long or if I need funds to build new things.
    I do notice that things that I've build and where I put effort in the looks sell a lot quicker than others.

This one was gone within 5 minutes after putting it up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JVJ, joevacc, Wolfboy1 and 5 others like this.
  9. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

The nude is a classical and refined subject of art for centuries! I bet you'd put underwear on Michelangelo's David!

[​IMG]

You did! You bastard!

;)

10. Not Orange

It's adorable, I eat a bowl of it every morning.

[​IMG]

Wolfboy1, adolan, HERSCHEL and 2 others like this.
  11. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

16 pages and no...
    [​IMG]
    ?

wornoutjunkie likes this.
  12. Not Orange

I want one SOOOO bad!

Wolfboy1 and Lt Dak like this.
  13. Not Orange

Her peers and the way you've raised her will be the deciding factors. Not your choice in pedals.

The message you intend to send isn't always the one that's received.

One could argue that being easily upset by what are clearly tongue-in-cheek graphics could send her the message that she should be ashamed of sexual desire or her own sexuality.

Is that any better?

Norrin Radd 1966 likes this.
  14. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Still, it was easier to read than this, anyway!

[​IMG]

EDIT: Okay. I just googled Moonshine. Doh.

15. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Looks cool. Too bad it's just another tweaked tubescreamer.

lowyaw likes this.
  16. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

Yeah, the Source Audio weird boxes.....but thats about it

17. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I may be seen as a prude and not win any friends here, but that's okay. I'm in agreement with sub rosa.

How I raise my daughter is an ongoing act, it is defined by actions, not simply my words. What I consume will serve as an example of my values.

Some of the pedals in this thread are tongue in cheek, and some are disgusting and gratuitous.

One could also argue that what some consider innocent and tongue in cheek graphics could send her the message that her sexual desire and sexuality is a joke, a thing not to be respected, but to to indiscriminately displayed, shared, and consumed.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Ravindave_3600 and Stratburst70 like this.
  18. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I don't like those pedals with the badly scribbled text to make them look hand made
    They're usually more expensive than the pedals with a professional graphic and text
    I'll excuse the Trombetta pedals because they're both hand made and etched and I want one!

19. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I've been creating graphics for guitar products for almost 20 years. One thing I DO know....you can never satisfy everyone. You just gotta know your target and shoot for it.

20. Nevenonsodove

Nevenonsodove Member

I am not concerned about pedal names since english is not my mother tongue so for ex "Brown Eyes" to me it had no sexual significance before i stepped into this topic. I have to admit that in some cases even a non english mother tongue like me recognises stupid names. But that is valid also for band names. I started at 13/14 translating lyrics and bands names in italian and the majority of them were cool because we did not know their meaning, the sound in a foreign language is always cool before you translate and the spell vanishes. Of course a word that sounds good in a language could not have a corresponding word in another language that has the same force and the same phonetic impact. For example Tuxedomoon sounds cool in english, the idea that the name suggest is cool even in italian and the italian translation results also very very cool. But it's an exception. Not to mention foreign words that has sexual or hilarious corrispondence in another language. But that's way far OT
    But the thing that really bothers me are the childish graphic found on many boutique pedals issued at the beginning of the boutique era more or less ten years ago. I don't like to make lists and names but a very famous brand making really awesome pedals had those graphic that looked like a 3years old kid holding a brush for the first time, and probably they thought it was real art because the price of the pedals with these disgusting paintings was double the regular one. Hey what about having a Piero della Francesca fresco on a pedal??
    I am 48 so of course i prefer more "vintage" looking pedals with plain and sober graphics, with style of course but not too stilish. I like balance and i don't like overthinking about the graphics and generally speakinbg the marketing approach , in my opinion is one of the ruin of our modern society.