Are Teles Heavier Sounding Than Strats?

el supermanny

Before everyone starts talking about Super Strats and humbucker vs single coil, my question refers to SSS strat vs a SS Tele (no humbuckers in any case).

Tom Morello used a stock, late 80s, Mexican Telecaster for all of the drop D RATM songs. It sounds awesome, heavy, and yet still single coil-ish.

James Valentine uses a telecaster for the majority of Maroon 5's heavy songs and for his leads (in concerts), meanwhile reserving the P90 guitars for the poppy songs.

I know my sample of players here is limited and more rock guys use Strats, but I'm wondering if people just default to a Strat because the Tele is a "country" guitar.

In all honesty, Morello and Valentine get some really heavy cranked tones out of their single coil telecasters. Sometimes I think their tone is better than the rock tone Strat guys are getting, especially when it comes to single note, base-like, rhythm lines.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Yes.

Tele bridge with a high gain amp will amaze you. Neck pickup is darker than a strat neck. Not necessarily better for soloing, but thicker.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I love Telecasters and Strats....

If I want something to sound heavier and really be strong I grab a Tele....If I want something to be pretty and sweet I grab a Strat.

KWthinline

All a matter of preference and what YOU hear. Obviously we have a wide range of opinions here from yes to no and everything in-between. If you ask my opinion: The stock Tele bridge has much more bite and grit (some call it twang) that the bridge single coil of a Strat. Does that account for a heavier sound -- that is a matter of opinion. When I use to play gigs and I wanted a cut through distorted sound to solo over I tended to gravitate towards a Telecaster than a Strat if there wasn't a humbucker equipped guitar around. However, a Strat to me has always been darker sounding to me so that can be called heavier too. It's all relative man:)

doc

I vote yes - Teles are heavier than Strats. With the fixed bridge and pickup differences they tend to have a wider frequency response - both more highs and lows. For me, that makes them sometimes harder to use for leads, since you need high mids for that. For low end and thump, the Tele edges out the Strat.

monty

I love both and have to say no. If TM was running a Strat though the same rig as his Tele it would be just as heavy.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Without any mods, I'd say yes, at least for rhythm and riffs. I say this because a stock SSS Strat doesn't let you roll off the tone on the bridge pickup. Strat can do a heavy lead tone though.

JWDubois

My Tele is heavier sounding than any of my Strats. At least it has a lot more bass on the bridge pickup. But for my style, the more scooped sound of the Strats bridge pickup is what I want. Sometimes the Tele is too bassy.

The neck pickup on any of my Strats is heavier than the Tele neck. I have no use for my Tele neck pickup at all. Probably should replace it.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Yes.

Tele bridge with a high gain amp will amaze you. Neck pickup is darker than a strat neck. Not necessarily better for soloing, but thicker.
I agree completely. Play a set with a strat and then 2nd set on tele with strong bridge pickup. It's no contest in my experience.

jetydosa

The Tele bridge EASILY out-whallops a Strat bridge. A really good Tele with a great bridge pickup will make most humbucker guitars hang their heads in shame.

My opinion is that the bridge pickup of a Tele certainly has more beef than a Strat, and does very well for heavier rock sounds. The neck pickup is a toss-up, as there is such a wide variation in neck pickups. More "modern" clean sounding Tele neck pickups can work quite well for heavier sounds, while a more authentic neck pickup can be very dark and muddled sounding. While I like to pick up a Strat type guitar now and then, I tend to gravitate back to Tele designs.

etc

I've owned both and currently own a Tele. A Telecaster can get a much heavier sound than a Strat IMO. A Telecaster with a good bridge pickup is a total rock machine!

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
The Tele bridge pickup does have a wider range of frequencies (mentioned in earlier reply), including more lower mids than a strat bridge - the Tele's increased low mids will make it sound beefier, or grithier or how ever you choose to describe it's fatter tone - how many players thought Jimmie Page used his Les Paul on the first Led Zep record (at least for a little while, come on, you know you did...). Tele's and the early P90 Gibson's both had more oomph to the bridge pickup tone than single coil strats when they came along.

Trending Topics