Are Tele's the most versatile guitars?

navenjohnson

Inventor of the Opti-grab
Ok hear me out and then rip me to shreds...

First: I could have posted this on TDPRI but I didn't for obvious reasons.

Second: I love my Tele's: '52 RI and Squier classic vibes 50's.

Third: I don't love them the most. I find myself playing my strats and my LP and ES-335, etc. more often

But: The telecaster has represented well every genre from blues to classic rock to punk, and obviously country, etc...

I'm not trying to start a fight and Tele's - while I own a couple and love them - are not my personal favorite - but damn, they seem to be used well for just about everything. Just sayin'

P.S. I know in my heart this is a BS question - just looking for opinions. All are welcome.

teleman55

Tele is my fave guitar. Only one I have two of (3 if you count a cheap chinese one). It's extremely versatile. But my vote for most versatile goes to the Strat.

MaxTwang

Tele's have a lot of character and work well in all styles. What's not to love.

My latest is a Warmoth swamp ash w/ maple neck - '59 profile. Don Mare pi's & Glendale bridge w/ brass/aluminum saddles - great tone and a blast to play.

bc-cosmo

My BS answer... For me personally, at this point in my musical life, yes. I can do more good things with a Tele or variant than with any of my other guitars.

navenjohnson

Well, the Strat is definitely my personal favorite - not saying it's better. It is just what speaks to me, but why do you (teleman and bigtone) think it's more versatile?

murraythek

I have a 52 AVRI, a 62 AVRI and a 1960 Trad Les Paul. My 52 AVRI can nail both the tones of the other 2 guitars, but I would have a hard time getting the Strat to sound like a Les Paul and vice versa or Tele for that matter.

navenjohnson

I have a 52 AVRI, a 62 AVRI and a 1960 Trad Les Paul. My 52 AVRI can nail both the tones of the other 2 guitars, but I would have a hard time getting the Strat to sound like a Les Paul and vice versa or Tele for that matter.
Well I tend to agree. I feel like I can approximate my strat neck pickup sound with my Tele neck pickup and I can approximate my LP sounds with my Tele bridge ( and to some small degree middle) position but I can't get close to my LP with my strat or vice versa. Before anyone goes haywire though, please note that I said "approximate". YMMV. Like I said, I'm not a die hard Tele guy, I play my Strats and LP more.

Average Joe

Considering the number of styles they are applied to then they certainly are up there among the most versatile. Personally I get more mileage out of a 335 style but tele can be used in a lot of settings

JDouglee

I've been a strat player all my life and only recently discovered teles.

I'd have to agree with the OP, it's crazy how versatile they are. Full on twang to low gain Les Paul and all points in between. It's all about the controls.

I never bonded with Fenders but I have a Tyler and a Suhr T, they're swiss army knives of tone.

Jimmy Page sold an awful lot of Les Paul's with a tele.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
To me with a 335 and a strat , the sky's the limit sonically. Two of the most versatile guitars on the planet IMO.

zztomato

They are simple. They force you to use the whole guitar (if you truly want all the versatility available). The neck pickup is great for jazz as well as everything else. The bridge pickup has authority - much more so than on a strat. In a crowded mix the tele shines through like no other. They hang right. Most are light enough to play all night. You can swap parts endlessly until you find the right combo for your needs. You get respect when you strap on your tele- so long as you don't suck.
They look badass.
[/URL][/IMG]

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Teles are Butthead simple. They force YOU to be versatile. And that's a beautiful thing.

MyShadow46_2

I have not played a Tele (yet, I may add), but I used to dismiss them in my youth because there was no way they could be Metal, just Country BS! :facepalm

I ate my words when I went to see a metal band called Isis and there frontman was rocking a Tele and the sound was massive!

So yes, incredibly versatile. Now that I am much more open minded about music (i.e. I don't just listen to metal and think that nothing else is worth anybody's time) I am looking at trying one out when I have the money.

Stephans

Jimmy Page sold an awful lot of Les Paul's with a tele.
True!
I owned already 2 Gibson LP's before I found out it was actualy a Telecaster (back in the 80's) what I loved in the sound.

My ES335 is very diverse too...
Tele's are my main guitars