Are TGP members becoming gear-saturated?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by michael dukes, Aug 10, 2005.

1. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

Just an observation that over the past month or two, seems like a lot of really great pedals are being posted for sale and drawing little or no response. Admittedly, I check the effects, etc. emporium more than guitars or amps, but the whole flow of used gear strikes me as relatively sluggish at the moment.

Is it just the time of year? The economy? Do we all have so many boutique overdrives, fuzzes and treble boosters that we're just collectively bored?

Perpectives anyone?

2. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I just bought a TTE and an ASAT...............I can't do much more at the moment. :(

Cgkindler likes this.
  3. alderbody

alderbody Member

i think it's never enough...

but there are times that we stick to a setup that sounds "good"
    and it takes some time till something else renders it "less useful".

On the other hand, it's summer time!...

at least here in Greece, this season,
    the "holiday budget" over-comes the "gear budget"...

hey, autumn is on the way!!!!.... :D

coltonius likes this.
  4. drolling

drolling Member

Alderbody's got a great point there. Some of us 'recover' during the warmer months and get out a little more.

I, on the other hand, am kept consistently broke by participating in forums like this one..

Cgkindler likes this.
  5. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

While I don't suffer from the same seasonality in gear purchasing, I do suffer from seasonality. During bowhunting season I don't have time to touch a guitar, much less make a gear purchase.

I do know what you mean though. I had a helluva time selling my KT45 recently, as well as a few pedals I couldn't get rid of until I dropped my pants. It was nice stuff too; I just wasn't using it and wanted to put the money elsewhere (other gear purchase) immediately, so I took the hit.

I think things do pick up around here September through January. Kids go back to school so the parents have time to gear shop again, the Christmas wave hits, and the after Christmas gear purchase flurry ensues to buy items that remain on one's wish list even after the holiday.

There is a ton more gear (used and new) available now than ever before, so that might have something to do with it as well. This forum is also maturing, and that may have something to do with it as well.

That said, I've been doing my best to keep the market around this place going this summer! ;)

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I think it is more members here, more folks selling and less buying.

Personally, I used to be a horrible gear hound but have dropped off the map - locked in with my pedals and happy as can be. It can and does happen. Really. :D

saltydogg and Cgkindler like this.
  7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, all of the above :D

Summer has always been the worst time to sell something for a variety of reasons ---- most people are out of there 'school year' routines, even TV kind of goes on vacation......

And the longer the 'New- Pedal - every - week' booteek boom continues there is less and less time/space for that next flavor of the week to attain classic status before it slips into the 'whatever happened to' pile

and theres Ebay.....

but I like many of us go thru binges and purges to rearrange and see if there is a better mousetrap out there or just curiosity.......

Im currently binging:D

coltonius, Flatscan and Cgkindler like this.
  8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I just purged so I could binge.

I dumped 2 keeleys and a dynacomp so I could get a shiny new Emerald Green Distortion Machine as the new number 2.

Soon I'll trade some more stuff. I'm just trying to change up and get new sounds without going crazy on the wallet and save space on the pedal board.

I bet around Christmas this will heat up big time.

9. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

I find specific items make the rounds with gearpage members and then get more and more difficult to sell. I guess people realize that new doesnt always mean better. I think the summer has something to do with it too.

I personally dont have trouble selling stuff cause I usually dont try to get as much as possible for a particular item. I look on ebay, see what an item goes for and then post it at a price 10-20 percent less. It's easier than dealing with ebay.

Mike

Flatscan likes this.
  10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The worst time to sell is right around and after Christmas (for obvious reasons). I find that buying and selling works well around March, April and May when Uncle Sam gives some folks a little money back.

I've had a tough time selling a couple of nicer units lately, but in a nutshell, items priced to sell, do; and items priced on the high end, don't. Most of us know a good deal when we see one.

11. Deaj

Deaj Member

I recently purchased a new Fuchs ODS 50 combo amp and my gear budget is shot now. :D

Cgkindler likes this.
  12. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    What do you mean, saturated??? I am just getting started!!!!

TheGrooveking

Custom50 and Cgkindler like this.
  13. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, actually August and January are usually the best times to buy stuff.....

14. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I used to suffer from insane G.A.S., but after a few big purchases, I've found that very little even tempts me anymore.

Somehow I equate gear buying in the fall and winter. It sucks to go outside, so I tend to entertain myself indoors. That leads to more of TGP, and more time playing my guitar. Both can make for a dangerous combination :D

15. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I've never had a hard time selling stuff... although, I do the ebaY more than post something here.

I just ordered a Voodoo Amps V-Rex, which is the gainer brother of the V-Plex... so I'm buying, just not used lately.

16. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Selling gear, what a concept, you can actually do that?

TheGrooveking

Cgkindler likes this.
  17. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

I tend to go on binges... like when I got a Les Paul, I then had to get a Marshall-like amp, and then the requisite accessories (treble booster). Same when I bought my strat... needed the whole Jimi pedal lineup. But I seem to have both of those covered now. Also have a Tele lineup of compressors and slap echo.

That leaves me saturated, for now. I can always upgrade a bit!

18. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

19. Enusire

Enusire Member

really? bumping 11 years? :D

Flatscan, Cgkindler and Caprica like this.
  20. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

If you thought the market was saturated in 2005 try selling something today! :bkw