Are the 2061x Marshalls still blowing OTs/PTs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Freedom, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Freedom

Freedom Member

Hey guys, i am thinking of buying a brand new 2061x...right now i need something portable that can provide plexi-ish sounds...i've played couple of times a friend's 2061x ("real" conditions, flat out via 4x12 and 2x12 cabs) and i really like the sound and behaviour but i am still a little bit worried about the reliability of the OT/PT, especially since i am planning to play it on ten (no attenuator)...

So, has marshall taken care of these issues?

Thanks in advance. ;)

2. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

I had both the old and "new" transformers blow on me. I put in a Heyboer that ran me about $75. Sounds better and have had no issues since. My tech also put grid restistors in. Great amp now! Sounded great at first but two transformers was a bit much. To Marshall's credit they did take care of the situation quickly but the replacements were not very good. I have no info on the amp now. I got mine shortly after the were released.

3. Freedom

Freedom Member

Thanks for the infos Jeff... :beer

4. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

5. DustyBaker

DustyBaker Member

Ive had myne for a few weeks now and ive played it on 10 all the time for about 20-30 hours so far and no problems.

6. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    I had an early one and blew two. From what my tech said at the time marshalls solution was ultimately to put lower output pt in as well so as to put less stress on the oT, and he did not agree with that solution himself as it kinda changed the overall character of the amp.

I never had a problem with that after but I dont think it sounded as good either and I ended up selling it. I tried Mercury Mag trannies in it and I liked them even less. YMMV

7. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

I´ve read on the forums that it appears that Marshall fixed the problem in 2006, but you´ll have to wait and see if some TGP forum member has a recent model that has blown any of the trarnsformers.

My 2061x was built in late 2005 and it blew the PT exactly one year ago. It was repalced by another Marshall PT and I´ve had no problems ever since.

Soundwise there was no differeence between the old and new PT. Just to be on the safe side, I also received a replacement OT, just in case that one also blows.

8. Freedom

Freedom Member

Thanks for the infos guys, keep'em coming... :beer

PS: Aaaaaaaaaaargggggg, who am i kidding??? I am gonna buy it anyway... :bkw

9. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

i forgot to mention that my tech is an authorized Marshall service center and was communicating directly with marshall re my amp and situation.

If you only replaced the OT i can see why it sounds the same, but mine blew again after I did that. When they fixed it the second time, they sent a different pt as well. They did it for me free since it was the second time ( I paid for the first one) even tho it wasnt under warranty due to my tech going to bat for me.

I am not sure if the newer ones are shipping with the different PT but thats the impression i got.

10. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

If I recall correctly, the OT is the one that can change the sound of the amp, whereas the PT has no impact on the sound. That is why when I changed the PT on my head -provided by Marshall- the tonality of the amp remainded intact.

11. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

im sorry I didnt read your post correctly re replacing the PT. From my understanding it was the OT that was having the problems mostly. Mine was OT twice.

The PT can have an effect on the sound if you put one in that is not rated the same. It creates the voltages for the tubes, plate and filament. In my amp, Marshall recommended a lower power PT to take stress off the OT. This reduced my plate voltage. IMO that can (and did) change the sound of the amp. In your case you put the identical rated device in there so of course changes in sound would be negligible.

12. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I've had mine for two years- Never a problem at all. I play it on 10 always. Come to think of it. Time for some new tubes.

13. Freedom

Freedom Member

Ok, my 2061x has been shipped, it should be here in a week or so...

What type of fuses do they use? I know both the mains and the HT should be slo-blow, i know the mA ratings but i can't find anywhere the physical dimensions of the fuses...

Are they 6.3x32mm or 5x20mm?

Thanks guys... :aok