Are the Fender 63' Reissue Reverb Units better than any Reverb pedal available?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FlyingDutchman, Feb 15, 2012.

1. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on the Fender 63' Reissue Reverb Unit. I currently have a Strymon BlueSky and Im wondering if these standalone tube reverb units sound that much better..Is it worth the cost?

Thanks in advance.

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

they sound totally different....i've never had a pedal nail the sound of a reverb unit like that.

whether its "worth it" to you is up to you....you have to carry around another piece of hardware if you play out....if you don't play out then no big deal.

but the reverb tanks are awesome.

3. cacibi

cacibi Member

I had a 70's Fender tank that I never should have sold. It was by far the best reverb I have had. Obviously you're going to get one sound: spring - but that's what you're going to get with any onboard, Fender-style reverb anyway.

But I think there are many good pedals on the market that are "close enough" IMHO. TC HOF is really good, I'm quite interested in the Super Surf. I'm not sure that I would haul one around to gigs even if I still had it.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think it's been covered well: you can use a pedal to get a "pretty good" reverb. Or you can buy the 63 and get it spot on. The only thing you'll want to do is replace the 6V6 reverb driver tube with a 6K6 (easily available on Ebay) for a smoother vintage tone.

5. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Expensive but Victoria is making the Reverbrator unit again.

6. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Thanks for all the advice guys...Looks like I may need to put some stuff up in the emporium and buy the 63' Reissue. I'd like to get the brown tolex redone in black..Hmmmm....

7. Steve73

Steve73 Member

You may want to check out the Demeter Reverbulator as well. It's a spring reverb unit in a pedal format (though quite a large pedal!). I just got a used one and they sound great. I shot it out against my Blue Sky's spring setting and there is no contest, the real spring reverb is so much warmer and lush. I still love the Plate setting on the Blue Sky though.

8. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

Texotica Amps makes a nice reverb. I don't own one but they look cool.

9. Brien

Brien Member

The tank will only get you spring reverb, but it will do it better than digital pedal. Sometimes other reverb is what you may want, and the tank can't do that. It really depends on the type of sound you want. The pedal might even be a better choice for you.

10. Morgan24

Morgan24 Member

Had one and sold it !! No regrets !! To big and I do not think the reissue deliver the goods!! Spring yes !! Vintage sound no!!

11. mojotele65

mojotele65 Member

it is a one trick pony in my opinion, but is does that trick very well. If you want big drippy surf/spring reverb, some say that the Boss pedal version gets close. I would not use it to replace the Blue sky, only a spring reverb pedal.

12. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Look into the van amps solemate... Pedal format with a spring tank... Sounds awesome and can be worked into a board...

13. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

man i love my van amps,... i never liked a reverb pedal until i got my reverbmate.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think the folks suggesting the Van Amps and the Demeter are missing something. If you've got the room for the 63, the tubes do bring something to the table that solid state driven reverberation doesn't. And as I mentioned, a simple pair of tube substitutions puts you in tonal nirvana, you don't need the vintage unit!

15. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Do they add much if youre using a tube amp? Honest question... My signal lacks no 'warmth' or whichever term you would use...

I haven't done an a/b but i was wayyyy more impressed by the vanamps than any of the hot tgp spring reverb pedals...

Although if i had money I'm sure I'd grab a vintage reverb unit for the hell of it

16. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

yeah, i think that is probably true. i got close to jumping on a 63' RI several times but the pricing was just slightly too rich for me/not too common used and they are larger as well as more fragile. I wanted something more portable i could kick and not feel bad about.

17. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

There's nothing like the Fender Tube Reverb (or, if you're lucky, an original) for that authentic spring sound. Other things you can get with a pedal or rack mount device. The 6K6 tube makes a positive difference, and if you really want to pursue it, there's instructions on the 'net for also replacing a cap as well.

18. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Depends on your needs. If you want a nice simple spring then yes. The reason the bsr is so cool is because it has a very nice spring but then like 100 other sounds available.

19. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

If my 65' Princeton was a Reverb model I would be happy. Im just looking for some Spring Reverb of the warm and lush variety. I guess the reason why I am contemplating the switch from the BSR is because I really just need a one trick pony. The BSR almost covers too much ground for me. Always tweaking and fiddling around.

I guess the other question is, are the $600+ reverb units really worth it for at home bedroom playing. I dont play out nor am I in a band. Its just my outlet that I can get lost for a few hours in. Id have to sell a few things to pull the trigger on one of the vintage units. For the cost Im expecting to get exactly what I want. Just dont want to be disappointed..

What do you guys think of this one? Vintage Tube Alamo Reverb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Alamo...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c6304f7e3#ht_500wt_1287

20. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I think the non verbed Princeton's sound better as does Mike Campbell.