are the guys that complain guitar tops that are cut by computerized routers ...

SW33THAND5

rather than "handcrafted" the same guys that get their guitars "PLEKed?"

if so??? is that sort of a double standard?

thoughts?

KSKONDOR

Never thought about it but that is true...I beleive some of those top boutique guitars (not that I'm not in the process of owning one :)) go to plek machines for set up. As long is it sounds great, and plays great...I'm happy either way!

bilbal

I don't know SW33THAND5 but that is a damn fine top on that guitar. What is it if you don't mind sharing???

bilbal

gang twanger

Anyone hung up on completely hand-built bodies need look no further than the fine work that Carvin does. Their head luthiers completely hand-build a prototype, and then that prototype is laser-scanned and then reproduced to extremely close tolerances (tighter tolerances than any person could adhere to). So when you think about it, the customer is getting as close to that original hand-built instrument as possible, even closer than a luthier could get if he/she were attempting to reproduce the same prototype instrument, in my opinion. This is why Carvin's guitars and basses are so consistent, especially the neck and fretboard.

FourT6and2

Supporting Member
Anyone hung up on completely hand-built bodies need look no further than the fine work that Carvin does. Their head luthiers completely hand-build a prototype, and then that prototype is laser-scanned and then reproduced to extremely close tolerances (tighter tolerances than any person could adhere to). So when you think about it, the customer is getting as close to that original hand-built instrument as possible, even closer than a luthier could get if he/she were attempting to reproduce the same prototype instrument, in my opinion. This is why Carvin's guitars and basses are so consistent, especially the neck and fretboard.
Ok, this is like the 3rd or 4th post I've seen where you are just completely hung up on Carvin's balls. What's the deal? Do you work for them or something? You a dealer?

Bluedawg

I'm with the pro CNC guys. Why should a highly skilled luthier waste his time doing the rough carve on guitar parts?

Are you going to tell me next that the only luthiers worth their pay don't even use bandsaws and other motorized tools?

There were machines doing this type of carving long before the super accurate modern CNC machines came on the scene.

I'd also bet that many great luthiers and even violin makers would have the hired help do the rough carving in the shops that didn't have the machines to do it.

Let the luthiers do the hands on work that delivers that extra something special that makes a great instrument what it is, and I'm fine with the machines doing the rest.

I've toured enough CNC based guitar factories to see just how much hand work still goes into a PRS or Martin and even Gibsons and Taylors.

Just my 2 cents

:munch

gang twanger

Ok, this is like the 3rd or 4th post I've seen where you are just completely hung up on Carvin's balls. What's the deal? Do you work for them or something? You a dealer?

Totally not!! Just a fan, I swear!
The reason I brought up Carvin today was this. I had not visited their website for some time, and then today I was bored and started revisiting sites that I had not been to in a while. When I got to the Carvin site, I saw that they had a couple of really cool looking new models, and since I was well aware of their quality, I felt the need to bring it up.
No spamming, I promise! I swear on my mother's life ( if that helps).

Alpedra

I trust computer "hands" much more than human hands.. as long as the person behind the computer knows what he´s doing..

webe123

I trust computer "hands" much more than human hands.. as long as the person behind the computer knows what he´s doing..

+1

I think that as long as a person who is behind the machine knows what they are doing,they can make much more precise cuts than any human can.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
My Anderson and My PRS are both made with CNC machines. I wouldn't change a thing about them. Some things are best done by a machine (that's been programmed by a competent human), and some are best done by hand.:horse

frank62

We had the man and machine discussion a while back. I believe it takes a combination of both. I do think some folks could find something wrong with any guitar ever made. Must be frustrating to be so demanding that no instrument measures up to their standards.