Are the higher priced LPs better than the Classic?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Yossi, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

I am trying not to GAS up to another LP. I have the Classic 60 and when I purchased it the salesman told me the differences in the other LPs were mostly asthetic.
    I will be putting in WCR Pups. Darkburst neck and Goodwoods bridge along with the RS Kit.
    After this improvement will my LP sound as good as the high priced R8,R9, etc?

Yossi

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Well, you may have a 'good one' and it'll sound great! BUT, generally, the 'R' series, or Historics, have a number of upgrades in the build, and tend to have more sustain, resonance, etc. than the less expensive lines. But you know how that can go...it all comes down to your particular guitar. There's a recent thread on 'long neck tenons' that addresses this very subject. Regards, AC

3. SFW

SFW Member

Despite what some of the snobs will say, the Classic is a true Les Paul. Like any other Gibson, there are some really smokin ones and there are some dogs. If you like the feel and basic tone of your classic, then don't worry about it. The all have the same basic ingredients (spelling?).

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

My major issue with the Classics is the little neck. I've heard and played a bunch that sound fantastic- but I couldn't get over the neck.

5. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Absolutley ... and a lot of tone and sustain comes from the neck too. I have owned a LP Custom and a LP Classic, and the Classic sounded thin in comparison. They all sound like Les Pauls for sure, but there is a tone/sustain difference with a thinner neck.

:RoCkIn

6. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I had an early Classic for about 12 years that was a keeper. At the time I bought it, I liked the smaller neck but I moved up to thicker necks, which is why I don't have it anymore. The build quality on that particular guitar was great.

The stock pickups sucked and I put in a set of Antiquities which made a HUGE difference. I know Leonc was raving about a Classic that he had put Wagner's in a few months ago and I'm sure you'll be really happy with the result.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The classics are nice but I like the neck of any guitar to match the body. Heavy body = thicker neck, lighter body = smaller neck. Generally I like thicker necks overall, to me it's the way it should be done but I do own a jap start with a smaller neck and it works perfectly so go figure. The thing I don't like about the classics is the ceramic pickups but since your changing them out this really is of no concern. BTW, get an aluminum tail piece while your at it.

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The Classic is certainly a real Les Paul. The only things I never liked about them are the slim neck and the ceramic pickups. It's easy enough to swap out the pickups, but I always preferred the neck on the Standards and Historics.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

Classics also tend to be heavier than historics, i.e., wood not as nice. But you may still find a keeper. If you like it, it's all that matters.

10. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I like the Classic! For hard rock and metal, its the one I would buy. Swap the pickups and you have a very good guitar.

For me, the nuances of the RI series are lost in this genre of music. I hear the differences much more in terms of jazz, blues, classic rock, and country.

11. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Ditto what SFW and tacorivers said .

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I think that Classics and Standards have more in common than Classics/Standards v. Historics.
    Greg

13. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

i dont like the slim neck either and i personally find the green tinged inlays abhorrent,i say to you check out a standard with a 59 neck profile.

14. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I had a '98 goldtop classic that is an excellent guitar, great tone, but also I have 8 historics, customs and standard '54 through '59. The guitar with new pick-ups would sound close and great but the resonance you will find in some historics (being the favorite of all guitars my 'R8 01 authentic) can not be compare, the neck feel and other parameters may need to be up to you, the big neck of a historic like a '57 may feel great or may not, you have to check some before invest if you are looking to improve. you can get good historics plaintops 'R8 for a little over 2200 (around) I think a new standard with high flame would be around that and a classic with a plain top for around 1800 or less, a used '57 goldtop would be in that price range...

Classic are great guitars, I miss mine a little since it is very good but I have better sounding/feel guitars at this moment. If money is an issue and you like your guitar just buy a better pick-ups and enjoy. It will sound great and close to the historics but not the same.

15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Historics,hands down with the exception of the REAL DEAL ('57-60 Standards).More resonance,better quality build in 95% of the guitars over USA Gibson guitars.

16. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

The Classic is a great Les Paul.
    Like others, I too have moved on to thicker necks (R6 and R8), but my 00 Classic was a great guitar.