Are the JJ 12ax7's still good tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by straticus, Oct 19, 2008.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I had a pretty well respected amp builder tell me he had quit using the JJ 12ax7's because they've become inconsistent.

Any thought on that statement?

I have Tung Sol's in my amp now. But I'd like to give the JJ's a try again. They seem a bit warmer sounding to me ears.

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

All modern tubes are inconsistant. That said, I'm still using more JJ ECC83's than any other 12AX7 type.

3. straticus

straticus Member

Well, coming from you ............that's good enough for me!:)

Thanks for the reply Doug!

Cheers,
    BC

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've never cared for the JJ ECC83, something missing in the upper mids (haven't tried them recently....I demo'd about a half a dozen of them several years ago), but I do like the sound of their long plate tubes, ECC803. But I think you have to buy them (like any new manufacture tube) from someone who tests them well. And I'd agree that the Tung Sols are on the bright side...

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

They were quite honestly the worst tubes I've ever used.

6. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Strange, but tried them in 2 amps about a year or 2 ago, hated them, removed immediatly and put something else in.

Now, I have tried them in a few pre's, and sometimes they just seem to work well, and tame some of the harsher highs....

jhansenku likes this.
  7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I've never had a problem to speak of with the jj's or at least nothing I haven't seen in other tubes. But yes they do roll of a little high end, just what some amps need.

8. impactblue

impactblue Member

I had a pair of JJ 12AX7s....the amp sounded totally different when i swapped them around in the V1 and V2 positions :s

But its a nice soundin tube when you get it right ;)

9. Michael T

Michael T Member

Same here, I tried them and couldnt stand them.

10. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

what do you use instead? I have NOS RCA's in my vibroverb that i really dig, but i've just put JJ's in my 66 bassman, havent played it yet.. i have a tung sol in V1 of my vibro tho... but am gonna try out some 5751's in that position...

11. somedude

somedude Member

JJ's used to be my tube of choice. I liked them because they lacked the harsh top end added by the Sovtek tubes.

Now that the Tung Sol's are out, I can't really stand the sound of JJ's any more. JJ's midrange is pretty flat, and the bottom end feels kinda limp in comparison. The Tung Sol's have a stiffer bottom end and a midrange bark that makes me smile.

Dannyz likes this.
  12. Ace_F4i

Ace_F4i Member

JJ tubes are good for extra gain circuits because they seem to have a little more gain than other new tubes i've used. they're also phase inverters if you can find a place that will match the sides. I wouldn't use them in a V1 or V2 though assuming the V2 is the tone stack.

13. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

I've had them in my AC30 when I want something that I know is just going to work when I put them in. Get them from eurotubes and you shouldn't have any problems. To my ears though, they sound a bit flat and one-dimensional. They lack the open sound you can get from a nice NOS RCA or Mullard. I'm running NOS RCA black plates at the moment - they're a beautiful open tube, and warmer to my ears than the Mullards.

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Truthfully the Chinese tubes are pretty darn good. Splawn, Bogner, VHT, all believe in them.

15. JasonP

JasonP Member

To me JJ 12ax7's are dull sounding.

16. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I am not a big fan of JJ preamp tubes. But why not pickup a few JJ's, Chinese, etc and try them for yourself in V1 and see what you like best compared to the Tung Sol's you have in there now.....

17. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

Had one of two JJs 12AX7s go bad on me within a month. Could not go one way or the other on the tone, most tubes sound all the same to me in my amp.

18. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

sorry for being ignorant here, but what exactly are "chinese" tubes? GT's with a C suffix or something?

19. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

They came stock in my SD18 and I went for a while using other tubes. A while back I put the JJs back in and the amp now seems to sound its best with the JJs in there.
    Can't explain it..but maybe they just work well in Buddas?

20. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

Or they just use them because they're cheap ;)