Are the Mic-Pre's better in the Digi 001 compared to the M-Box?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Melodic Dreamer, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I know it handles 4 times as much processing power and the conversion is a little better, but how about the Mic-Pre's?

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I would imagine that they'd be pretty similar. Digi's not excatly known for their pre's. Better is subjective. You'd be lucky to be rocking something like the Focusrite Platinum range in those boxes. Not a bad pre, but certainly not one to argue the merits of.

3. d7music

d7music Member

I believe the Digi001 came out before the original M-Box, and then the M-Box came out with Focusrite Pre-Amps. I no longer have my Digi001 (Digi002 now), but I think the M-Box pres are a little better.

4. neve1073

neve1073 Member

I've never used or even looked at an mbox so pardon the newb question:

can you bypass the pres in the mbox and go from a better pre into the ad converter? also how easy is it to upgrade the converters with an mbox?

thinking about building a little PT rig because it's such a pain in the ass to move between platforms all the time.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The pres in the MBox - even the old one - are considerably better than the 001.

>> can you bypass the pres in the mbox and go from a better pre into the ad converter?

Unfortunately no. There is no analog input that bypasses the pres. But you can use an outboard pre AND converter and input via SPDIF.

>> also how easy is it to upgrade the converters with an mbox?

The only upgrade I know of is to go outboard via SPDIF, as above.

FWIW I think the converters are surprisingly good. Not the best of the best, but I've recorded tracks with MBox that I've used on masters.