Are the Palomino's and the Crate V series the same amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gdomeier, Feb 13, 2008.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I see the names use interchangeably. Searching musicians friend for crate an palomino yields no results, but palomino does.

I tried a palomino v32 at GC and liked it. I have also read, hear I think, of some of these amps being close out priced.

I want to know if they are they same or not. If so, I will need to head back and try the v series.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The Crate Palomino V32 is the same amp as the Crate V3112 only with different cosmetics. Heck if I was looking at a V3112 I'd be hoping its the same amp as the V32! The V32 is just a great sounding amp. Bob

3. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Supporting Member

I was under the impression a year or two ago that the Palomino was a Guitar Center specific version of the V32. The only difference was the color scheme. These days I hear a lot more about the Palomino, and don't even know if they're still offering the V30 series.

John

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Its pretty confusing but a quick check reveals you can still buy the V32,V32 2x12 or V33 2x12. Im assuming the black V33 is the same amp as the v32 2x12. All are 30 watters. All are most probably made in Vietnam .Bob

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

my V16 is better than all yuns

6. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

The newer models have a different power supply I know, and I hear are being imported?

7. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

I liked the old palomino and crates but I sent a new v18 back.The new ones are different.

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I believe that is true as well. I tried a V33 and it didn't suck, but not the same as the V3112 I played. Gainier and and flubby bottom. The V3112 sounded WAY better from memory. Have to qualify that by admitting I was playing a Rivera Fandango just before that though. So kinda tough for the ears to adjust.

I'll say this for the new V amps though. The 2x12 TUBE amp V33 was RIDICULOUSLY LIGHT and CHEAP! (Like $449? for a pseudo 2 channel 30w tube amp?) If only it sounded as good as the predecessor! The dealer said the V3112 was discontinued.

I never liked the V32's cosmetics, so count me out on that. Though I'd snag a used V3112 in a heartbeat.

Last thought: Supposedly the new V series are TOUGH. There are videos on you tube of them throwing a V50 like 10 feet and it still working. They siad they did that 5 times before it had "issues". In short I think the new V series is a great amp for the kids to break away from solid state and get into tube amps.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Whats the "switching power " supply thing about? Does it use an output tranny? I got think If they messed up anything its probably due the this "lightweight switching power supply"... Bob

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

I went tyre-kicking last weekend with my brother in law, and we tried out a V3112. I was very impressed ... very good clean tone and good OD channel too. Also tried a HRD, DRRI and Genz Benz Black Pearl and the V3112 came out on top. Admittedly the DRRI has it's own spot ... used it to compare clean tones though. That was Saturday. Sunday we went to another shop to see if we could try a V33. None in stock, but right there in front of us was a V3112 with 40% off. My brother in law bought one. For the money he paid I can't see anything else coming close without going second hand.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yep hands down the V3112 or the V32 are just best in its class IMO. Bob

12. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

My only complaint was the delay in switching channels on my V32.

13. Zero

Zero Member

The difference between the 5 watt Palomino and 5 watt V58 is the former has a 10" speaker and the latter an 8".

14. bluescube

bluescube Member

The Palomino V32 I have uses a Celestion 70/80, I think the newer ones use a generic 12" Crate speaker. My V32 says made in USA, I think the new black ones are made in Vietnam (have not seen the new ones locally yet).

I LOVE my V32....it makes me smile when I play it and I don't have to tweak the knobs to get a good sound. I was constantly tweaking knobs on a Flextone II to get a good tone and never played much, LOL.

The only downside is that the V32's ventiliation isn't that great and it runs hot.