Are the TAD 12AX7s any good?

Gretsch&Vox

I am resurrecting an old thread....

FWIW, the TAD 7025S sounds fantastic in the V1 position of my VOX AC15HW1(X). I like it as much, if not better, than my NOS Mullard, NOS Telefunken, Ei Elite Gold and JJECC803S gold-pin.

ken374

I am resurrecting an old thread....

FWIW, the TAD 7025S sounds fantastic in the V1 position of my VOX AC15HW1(X). I like it as much, if not better, than my NOS Mullard, NOS Telefunken, Ei Elite Gold and JJECC803S gold-pin.
I have the same amp! have a tungsol in there now, EI are great in the v2!!

solitaire

Those TAD's are just relabeled Chinese tubes. Bob
Not quite. Thought we had been over that long ago, but my memory could fail me. ;)

There are a number of different TAD 12AX7s that are made in China but to different specs. TAD I beleive still have a Mullard version that is actually tonally richer than either the GT and the Mullard RI. Probably these are made in the same plant as the now discontinued GT 12AX7M, and you wouldn't call those relabeled chinese valves, now would you? ;)

Also let's keep Sino and Shuguangs apart. Sinos have really made all Chinese made valves a bad rep unjustifiably.

Gretsch&Vox

I have the same amp! have a tungsol in there now, EI are great in the v2!!

I know Kenny. I've seen you on the VOX Discussion board. :)

Yes, Tung Sols are nice---I have to do some more experimenting with them. EIs are great and like you said, better in the V2 position. I used to use EI exclusively (e.g. preamp and power tubes) because they sound great but I always had problems with them, even with the top of the line EI Elite Golds. NOw they are sitting n boxes on the shelf.:(

Wait a minute (!) Can I call you Kenny, Ken?

CECamps

I really like the TAD 7025-S and use it as a stock tube in one of my standard production model amps. It's a great sounding tube that breaks up nicely. It can be used as a cathode follower without issue too. Can't remember what the exact tube is (TAD rebrands tubes) but it's nice.

ken374

I know Kenny. I've seen you on the VOX Discussion board. :)

Yes, Tung Sols are nice---I have to do some more experimenting with them. EIs are great and like you said, better in the V2 position. I used to use EI exclusively (e.g. preamp and power tubes) because they sound great but I always had problems with them, even with the top of the line EI Elite Golds. NOw they are sitting n boxes on the shelf.:(

Wait a minute (!) Can I call you Kenny, Ken?
Ken is fine lol, I might have to the try that tube out, i bought the EI from TC Tubes didnt have any issues with it in the v2, wouldnt use it in the v1 prb have microphonic issues. Tads really that good huh? warmer sounding?

Gretsch&Vox

I really like the TAD 7025-S and use it as a stock tube in one of my standard production model amps. It's a great sounding tube that breaks up nicely. It can be used as a cathode follower without issue too. Can't remember what the exact tube is (TAD rebrands tubes) but it's nice.

Craig:

Good question. It looks like they are Chinese? Check this out:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-846306.html

Tads really that good huh? warmer sounding?

Ken:

I'm kind of on a honeymoon with them. They have warmth, "richness" and clarity, to my ears. I noticed very little noise and that seems to help the clarity aspect but, that's just my 2 cents.

There not expensive if you get them from Darren Riley (good guy, BTW):

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=search_results&search=7025s

I can't speak for their reliability yet. I'll have to wait and see.

I see you've gone to TC Tubes; I got my NOS Mullard and NOS Telefunken from them. To me, the TAD 7025S is right in the middle of those two in terms of sound.

Regards To All,
Jay

Gretsch&Vox

el 84's any good?

I didn't really care for the TAD EL84S. To me, they were a little harsh sounding.

Did you ever try the reissue Gold Lion tubes? I've heard mixed reviews (e.g. sound great but unreliable or sound great and reliable) about using them in hot-output amps like the VOX AC15/30.

solitaire

Dave_C

I suggest either Mullard RIs (incredibly hot, gainy, saturation-producing tubes) or high gain JJ ECC83s. These tubes will indeed give you more saturation and volume at equivalent gain settings than many other tubes and they don't have the fizz of the Shuguang tubes. You can get them at Doug's Tubes for a fair price and they are tested thoroughly. I've had nothing but great service, product and support from Doug.

ken374

i have JJ power tubes now, got a bit on raytheons now will see by sunday. Dougs tubes didnt speak to highly about the lions thinks there retube. Northern lights at the tube store i heard were good sounding.

ken374

The TAD EL84-CZ is the muscle man and roughneck among the EL84 choices. It gives most amps
an extra powerful base response. Be careful with amps that already do have a fat bass and make
sure their speaker can handle the increased bottom end as it might be too much then. The EL84-CZ
is the most powerful EL84 tube we ever heard. Big tone and very dynamic. Our recommendation, if a
powerful tone is what you‘re looking for.

saf_1

Is the one I linked to a "9th Gen"? It does say it's the "latest" version, so?

Yeah, the 9th Gen is just the latest version of that Chinese tube, and they are actually the same as the 8th gen. High gain, rugged, pretty balanced tone - they come stock in a lot of amps... some pretty high end. They aren't bad tubes by any means. I've got a bunch of them that I keep around, and they sound better for some applications than more expensive new production tubes, and even some NOS 12ax7's.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom