Are the Twin Heads as nice sounding as the combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by regotheamigo, Feb 16, 2009.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I'm looking at getting a really nice clean sounding amp like a Twin, and also have something I could do dirty rhythem stuff through with pedals, but not sure I want to buy the Twin Reverb reissue that's out there. All my other amps are hand wired so guess I've become a snob with using those because they sound better to me. I've seen some Fender heads out there at various music stores, and if they sound great and as good as the combos I would be fine with that. Any opinions of anybody who owns both or played both. Thanks

2. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I've never played one but a Dual Showman is supposed to be a TR in head form so I am assuming it should sound quite similar.

3. tuberider

tuberider Supporting Member

I have a Twin Reverb RI amp in a head cab and can easily use it with a few different speaker cab configurations.1x12,2x12,1x15, open back, closed, etc.
    It is way lighter than carrying the whole ball of wax in one hand.
    One downside, the head cab has to be larger (taller) to allow the reverb tank to sit far enough away from the power transformer or it will cause excessive hum.
    Make sure the tank is put in the right way.When I got mine (cheap)I think the person sold it because it hummed like a bee until I switch the spring tank around the other way.

4. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Oh wow! I didn't know that? I thought they made Twin heads as well, or they did make them. I'm looking at getting something from the 60's if possible. Do you know how many watts the Dual Showman is? Thanks

5. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

BF Showman (8 ohm OT) and BF Dual Showman (4 ohm OT) are rated 85 watts output----- in the SF yrs there was a Dual Showman Reverb head rated at 100 or 135 (later yrs) watts output.
    There was also a Bassman 100 that's somewhat similar-- and a Bassman 135--- they have normal and bass channels.
    I like BF and early SF 85 watt heads--- i put a Heyboer 4/8/16 ohm OT in one early SF Dual Showman head and it sounded huge and could be used with almost any speaker cab---- i have a '67 BF Showman head now, beat-up but huge and sweet sounding..............gldtp99

6. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Great stuff to know thanks! In your opinion what cab configuration works best with what I'm going for? I use to own a open back Mesa cab with my Lonestar head and thought it sounded bigger than a close back cab which is a good thing I think .)