Are the vintage Fender brand Tremolos they use on the reissuse good?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by straightblues, Aug 28, 2006.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I am thinking about putting one of these on my parts strat. How do they compare to the Wilkinson, Gotoh and Callaham?

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

No Fender vintage tremolo is any good. People just love them in spite of their faults. ;)

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Personally, I like the Fender 6 point vintage style trem better than the modern 2 point. Even though it's generally less stable than a 2 point, the 6 point trem generally seems to have more thump to the tone. With a steel tremblock, the vintage Fender's aren't too bad but IMO the Callaham is made better. Admittedly, by todays standards, the vintage Fender trem is crude....but it sounds better to me than the modern "new & improved" versions like the trem used on G&L's.

4. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

I have one on a guitar that I built. I'm no master luthier but with proper setup and lubrication, this guitar stays in tune as good as any guitar I have and that is with some fairly heavy trem usage (and it has vintage style tuners as well).

5. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

After a long day at work and a 4 hour biker party gig, I was lookin for a reason to end the gig. "just 2 more songs" gets old the 4th time.

I only own 1 guitar right now, my EJ Strat. I was thinking some serious whammy work and 2 step bends would wreck the tuning or break a string just so I could call it quits. I tell what....That damm guitar would not go out far enought to really sound bad.....

So I would say that the vintage style trem can work most of the time as long as you leave the Steve Via at home:jo

Proper set-up makes a big diff. My '65 Fender RI strat was not bad either.

6. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I have to say that I am getting better results in terms of tuning stability from my 6 screw wilkinson vintage than I have from either my Gotoh or Fender. All with the exact same neck (graphtech / sperzel)

HJ

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I don't mind the 6 screw Fender bridge. On one of mine, I just bought a block that was like the EJ block which helped the tone some and the tuning stability was much greater. To answer the question...they aren't bad, but yeah you can get better parts out there.

8. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

There may be better ones out there, but I'm used to the standard Fender bridges. If it ain't broke (for me anyway)...

9. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

You may want to search on John Suhr's posts regarding the Fender 6 screw trem and the Wilkinson 6 screw trem. If it's not on TGP, try John's website. He gave some pretty good reasons for moving to the Wilkinson as I recall.

Mike

10. Luke V

Luke V Member

I agree, they are are not bad, but I like the Callaham better. The EJ trem is great too. Both better than the ri stuff.

11. straightblues

straightblues Member

What is the difference between the EJ and the vintage Fender one?

12. Luke V

Luke V Member

The block is different, a different type of steel, I think. The holes for the ball end of the strings are shallower. It gives you more mass, and if you break a string, you don't have to dig it out. It is more like a real vintage block. There is no paint where the block meets the top plate, so it transfers vibrations better.