• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Are there any American made 335 style guitars with a 1 3/4 nut?

Motherfuzzer

Silver Supporting Member
Did Gibson ever make one?

anyone else?

I have been looking at Eastmans, but wanted to explore domestic options.

thanks guys

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Did Gibson ever make one?

anyone else?

I have been looking at Eastmans, but wanted to explore domestic options.

thanks guys
The Collings nut is slightly wider than G, but not that much. 1.7 I believe. Best option would be Warmoth starcaster build, or a custom order from any of the boutiques.

Motherfuzzer

Silver Supporting Member
The Collings are gorgeous but the I35 is expensive and seems to be kinda rare. I can't find many for sale right now. I'm not ready to buy anything right now. Especially in the Collings price range. The LC seems to be more available. I want solid wood.
The neck might work though. The profile picture shows it as 1.73, (which would be great) but then the specs list it as 1 11/16 (.687)
Can anyone confirm or deny either of these?

The Heritage seems to only be available as a laminate.

Nothing against Warmoth but that thing just doesn't look right to me.

The bear

The Collings are gorgeous but the I35 is expensive and seems to be kinda rare. I can't find many for sale right now. I'm not ready to buy anything right now. Especially in the Collings price range. The LC seems to be more available. I want solid wood.
The neck might work though. The profile picture shows it as 1.73, (which would be great) but then the specs list it as 1 11/16 (.687)
Can anyone confirm or deny either of these?

The Heritage seems to only be available as a laminate.

Nothing against Warmoth but that thing just doesn't look right to me.
All Collings electrics come standard with a 1 11/16 nut. Scale length is slightly longer than Gibson, 24 7/8.
A friend of mine custom ordered an I-35lc with a 1 3/4 nut, so it is possible to get it.

The bear

The Collings nut is slightly wider than G, but not that much. 1.7 I believe. Best option would be Warmoth starcaster build, or a custom order from any of the boutiques.
Collings come standard with 1 11/16 nut widths, so it should be the same as most Gibsons.

The bear

“Around” yes
No wider than that, so there is no reason to suggest they are not 1 11/16. These people know what they are doing, they wouldn't list the wrong specs.
If you want me to, I can ask them in person, I am friends with several of the builders and people that work at the company. Since the guitars are sanded by hand there might be small variations, that might also be due to the finish work.

Last edited:

The bear

“Around” yes
I have 7 other Collings I can measure in the new future(my C10 acoustic was ordered with a 1 3/4 nut, otherwise they are all 1 11/16).
The Eastside feel a bit wider, but I think it is because the string spacing is wider, it's still 1 11/16.

The bear

So what is it I am looking for, and do you know of one with a 1 3/4 nut width?
I don't think there are many, if any, off the shelf solid woods(or laminate) 335 style, with 1 3/4 nut widths, you would have to go custom.
As mentioned a friend custom ordered a Collings I-35lc with a 1 3/4 nut. The lc is the laminated version, you could do the same with the solid woods version of the I-35. Personally I prefer the lc.

DRS

As Scary Uncle G has said, the Gibson ES 335/345/355 are a lamination of 3 layers of wood, top, back, sides. Plywood. But nobody wants to call it plywood.
I would go Heritage.
If you are low on $$$, suck it up and get an Eastman.

Trending Topics