Are there any boutique/hand-wired versions of the '65 Twin Reverb?

jokerjkny

headstrong and allen make something similar, and if you can find it, the carr imperial.

course, a high power 85 watt tweed twin from victoria, clark, and even fender could give you that massive fender clean headroom.

i personally will vouch for clark, cause everything mike makes turns to fendery gold.

NTBluesGuitar

Why not a SF Twin? They have slightly larger iron and are actually a tad cleaner than the BF versions, plus they're hand-wired. Not the prettiest wiring but it's good.

If you really wanted to go all crazy, get a BF Twin RI on the cheap, gut it, and have it re-wired...yeah, a bit extreme, but I've done it once:

Heh...I know, not the most reasonable option, but fun!

Last edited:

yebdox

I'm really digging my new Deluxe clone from Vintage Sound, I know that Rick makes a Twin version... all Mercury Mag transformers, PTP, great to communicate with, flawless cab. I also have an Allen Old Flame, which I love and have had for 6 years with no problems, but I don't think David is building his version of the Twin, right now. Both David and Rick are super to deal with and build a great product. I can vouch for both of them, absolutely great experience, and I have had some bad ones with other builders, so I know what it should feel like.

Billion81

It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did.
If the idea is to have a powerful amp with tons of clean headroom then I would take a look at the Bruno Cowtipper series. That said there a ton of great amps that get killer cleans but also OD very well.

http://www.brunoamps.com/cowtipper90.html

I have played a few of these and they really are a great clean amp though I don't get the same scooped sound out of that amp that I did my '67 BF Twin.
I actually thought the BF Twin made a better steel guitar amp but that's just me.

The other killer clean amp out now is the Fuchs Clean Machine. I got to play this amp at the LA Amp show and was stoked on this set up. Again, not as much like a BF Twin but Andy's idea was to build a killer clean amp that could be really cranked and still hold it's clean sound.

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/products-cleanmachine.php

This amp to me had more of a Bandmaster vibe than a twin. the other suggestions on this thread are perhaps better examples of Twin Reverb style sounds so give those a listen. I liked the idea of lots of clean headroom but just didn't like the tonal characteristics of the BF Twin so thought I would offer these alternatives.

Good luck

CthonicEwes

Like NTBluesGuitar wrote, just get a SF Twin. Nothing is going to beat the Twin for headroom and tone. And since SF and even BF Twin are so (relatively) cheap still, it hardly makes sense to get anything else unless you are looking for a specific non-Twin tone. If that is the case, then please specify why a Twin won't do it for you...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?members/38967

jay42

Look for a used Allen ToneSavor. He couldn't sell enough to justify keeping it as a standard model. That tells me that most guys would just go look for an SFTR.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Top Hat Ambassador 100, Bruno Cowtipper 90, Fargen Custom Blackbird 80 (you have to ask for this one).

For a more "boutique" flavor, try the Carol-Ann OD2-100 6L6 version, Fuchs Clean Machine 150, Two Rock Custom Clean 150, Bludo High Plains Drifter.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Isn't this boutique enough?

It is handwired, has the lower voltage PT and even has cloth insulation.

hunter

jokerjkny

Isn't this boutique enough?

It is handwired, has the lower voltage PT and even has cloth insulation.

hunter
you could always have it easily blackfaced by any quality tech... :)

btw, on ebay there's a guy named "biasedmullard" who sells fender chassis conversion kits. the wiring looks pretty dam good, too. nothing is up now, but every now and again i see stuff.

amc

imho,
the discontinued allen tonesavor is a better twin reverb......

maybe david allen would build an 80w old flame if requested?

Zillie

Like NTBluesGuitar wrote, just get a SF Twin. Nothing is going to beat the Twin for headroom and tone. And since SF and even BF Twin are so (relatively) cheap still, it hardly makes sense to get anything else unless you are looking for a specific non-Twin tone. If that is the case, then please specify why a Twin won't do it for you...
nothing wrong, i like mine, i was only thinking if there's anything with better tone and the same specs (loud and clean fender tone) that is worth upgrading... thanks for the replies so far

FFTT

The most kick ass Twin I've ever heard was built for Gary in The Road Ducks,
by VVT Amps in Waldorf MD.

They can build a head only or combo version, which is very cool
if you want to split up the weight.

They build for touring professionals who insist upon reliability.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
...And since SF and even BF Twin are so (relatively) cheap still, it hardly makes sense to get anything else unless you are looking for a specific non-Twin tone. If that is the case, then please specify why a Twin won't do it for you...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?members/38967
that's always been my take on it too, but I guess I simply like old stuff in a sense also...I do think it sounds better for my uses but I also just appreciate it when something 45 years old still kicks butt next to the latest boutique offering :)

FWIW BF Twins can still be found on craigslist and gbase for $1800-$2000 quite often.

Trending Topics