Are there any good headphone amps that are cheap?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yr Blues, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I used to own a ZOOM 9002 back in the day. ROCKMAN was also cool. What's something I could buy today? Preferably all analog, but whatever.

[​IMG]

2. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

I am not expert, but I would buy a mixing board. Almost all have a headphone outs, and you have more flexibility. It is as much to do with your headphones; Its the same as guitar amps- - half or more of the sound is in the cabinet and speakers.

Good headphones = everything better

....and then you know if you need to upgrade.

Btw... You can get decent flat monitor cans for a hudo, easily.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I have a bedroom studio setup, but I want something I can sit in bed with and not disturb my roommates when everyone's asleep.

4. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

Me too!- exactly the same situation- My friend found an old DJ amp with 3 channels and gave it to me- These things cost nothing- maybe shops or online.... Its small ( my mixer), and if I wanna hear something in stereo: done.

It's really about the headphones. Way more important. I will beat it in the ground in circles around this post and be a crazy person... sorry. Almost all the amps are the same- unless you are crazy picky and rich. Headphones!

( busy saying- go crazy ! as you will,, or get some good cans. I know or than tthis amp has this or that feature; but you are just practising, right?)รท

Cleveland !

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

What make/model?

6. slimefuzz

slimefuzz Member

7. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

Maybe overkill for your situation, but my best experience with headphones so far has been my Quilter 101 Reverb. It doubles as a nice amp too ;), and does bedroom levels well.

For headphones, I like Sennheisers for the open backs, which allow two-way leakage. The HD 579s are light, comfortable, sound good, and relatively inexpensive.

Others (most folks?) may prefer closed-back monitors for the isolation. I've heard good things about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, but haven't tried them. A friend who's a recording and mastering engineer uses them. Sony has a couple of decent monitor 'phones for under $80.

Presumably DJ-oriented 'phones aren't the best bet for monitoring or listening to many types of music due to their EQ.

8. bobwl

bobwl Member

The Vox amPlugs aren't too bad. If you want something a bit more versatile I'd check out either one of the Peavey or Orange micro heads, or maybe even one of the Hotone. You can use it as a desktop practice with headphones, and keep it around for a backup head.

Or you can always grab a Pod used cheap.

HERSCHEL and monkmiles like this.
  9. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Mooer has one that looks pretty perfrct

10. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

The Vox Amplugs are great.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  11. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

Zoom G1on. Not analog but lots of features for a low price. Sounds good, drum beats, metronome, looper and aux in. All good features for practice. Portable. Three power sources, wall wart, batteries and usb. Last a long time on battery.
    I use 1controller on my laptop to edit the patches and parameters, works a treat.
    Budget headphone option Superlux HD668b, sound great and inexpensive.

12. blackjaw

blackjaw Supporting Member

I was traveling for a few months, in various hotels, and used an old blood noise headphone amp. It was good, had to use a balanced gain to make it feel organic and not clip, but I enjoyed it for those late night sessions.

13. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

For the analog tone, those little Vox headphone amps are cheap and sound pretty good. You can plug them into the end of a signal chain as well, and they're tiny.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  14. pnwkiwi

pnwkiwi Member

15. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Hotone Nano Legacy are good in a pinch, plus you can hook them up to a larger cab.

16. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

Far from analog... get an iRigHD 2 and plug into your phone or ipad. Use with a set of closed back headphones or IEMs. Use Garage band or Amplitude or the Positive Grid apps or ...
    https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd2/

You'll have a great sounding small setup.

17. rutxer

rutxer Member

Mooer Audiofile at the end of the pedal chain?

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

So your studio setup doesn't have a headphone out?