are there any good octave's?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wsaraceni, Jan 21, 2006.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

right now i am using a whammy from digitech. i find i am only using it for adding an octave up and adding an octive down. are there any good pedals out there that can do either octave up or octave down really well? also, do most octave's have a fuzz as well or is that just certain ones. i'd rather not have a fuzz unless i can turn it on/off. also, it should work well in the front of the amp. i dont know if most octaves are built for the front or for the loop

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

well after looking around. i'd also like to hear opinions on the captain coconut 2. seems like it has an octave. and for not much more i can get a fuzz and vibe as well. are the 3 combined as good as getting 3 separate good units? at $100 each its not a bad deal either.

3. JC-Tonequest

JC-Tonequest Supporting Member

I believe the octave on a Captain Coconut 2 is only and octave up. It would be the ultimate if it was capable of octave up and/or down. Dave should replace the octave portion of the CC2 with the Octron guts. I would buy that pedal in a heartbeat!

I too use my Whammy 4 pedal for the Octave Up/Down setting mostly. I am on the Octron waiting list. You may want to consider it. I guess the you can dial in some fuzz on the octave up via an internal trimpot.

4. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I have an EBS OctaBass pedal which I use for octave down. Works and sounds great. I use the Fulltone Ultimate Octave for octave up and I have a re-issue Whammy pedal. :dude

I love octaves :D

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

the foxrox octron is supposed to be a great up and down octave, and i believe you can even blend the two.....never tried one though...

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I've been asking Dave for this option for months, calling it a CC3! :dude The Octron seems to be much more useable and cool than the Octavia built into the CC2.

That being said, I've had an old original swirly paint Rx Electronics Experience pedal for over a decade. It has the best octave up effect I've ever heard, and I'm always trying the newbies.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Yep, that one's a silicon based life form. I also have a germanium Rx FaceLift; this one has seperate controls for fuzz & octave, allowing you to blend the two together.

But the straight octave side has plenty of distortion on its own. The octave up sound is actually a byproduct of extreme clipping produced by the circuit. IIRC, all these 'Octavia' clones are, in fact, two fuzzes running in series.

If you want a truly 'clean' octave +/- tone, you've gotta go w/a synth of some kind. The new EH P.O.G. would be my first choice.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You should look into the E-H POG... it has sliders for Level, Sub-Octave, Dry Input, +1 Octave, +1 Octave Detuned, +2 Octaves, +2 Octaves Detuned and a slider for the LPF. The LPF also has a three way switch for its three settings. Great for organ sounds. "Folk Song + Blues Improv" on http://www.myspace.com/stephenpolcz ... that's just a rough clip, but you get the idea, that clip is missing the deluxe memory man giving it a percussive sound on the attack and the analogman ross clone -> POG -> Walco Chord & Note Sustainer-> Champ II-> Leslie... The clip just has the POG -> analogman ross clone-> Champ II-> Leslie... But, you can see (hear) what is possible... very fun pedal... The other problem with the clip is I was trying to avoid overdriving the microphone (since discovered I may have a wrong computer setting which may clear up my headroom and noise issues) and the amp volume is too low to fully drown out the sounds in the room (sound coming from actual physical resonating of guitar, footswitch clicking for speed control)...

I want to get the KR Doubler for an Octavia pedal sound, which is completely different from what I get out of the POG (although if you bend pitches or do clear vibrato through the POG with all of the octaves going, it can sound like a keyboardist from the 80s playing with the pitch bend wheel, decidedly UN-hammond, so you've got to watch out for it or just try and own it if you do that... anyway, that sounds kind of like an 80s keyboardist playing hendrix- too weird). Really, the other octaves really add something really great. Fun for blues, jazz, classical. Get out your double stops and other harmonized parts... Due to a lack of cables, I can't run everything at the same time (had to return a couple of cables I borrowed to sit in with a friend's band a while ago)... I just have to order a couple sets of George L's and a couple more pedals and then the whole setup will be cooking.

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

seems like i have 2 pedals to try out

10. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i cannot recommend the KR Doubler enough, just got mine yesterday and i love it. couldnt stop playing it, its addictive. all settings are usuable, and it sounds great with OD/fuzz. for Jimi, its got that Band of Gypsies(who knows,we gotta live together,stop,) down COLD. couldnt be happier with an Octavia. :)

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This might be just me, but I have owned a CC2, and I own an Octron, and though I am very happy with the Octron, the up-octave in the CC2 is the BEST I have ever played for that Hendrix "band of Gypsys" sound. It is still my favorite of all. I also have a Boss OC-2 (great for down-one, and down-two octaves, but I prefer the up-one!), and an HBE UFO (fuzz octave).

On the CC2, I just didn't end up liking the vibe as much as I wanted to, it is hard to dial in for me, I think you have to REALLY learn it, spend a lot of time with it. It gives more adjustable things in it than most vibes which is great when you want some off-the-wall vibe effects, but in a live situation where you have to dial it in quickly and usually without being able to even hear it while dialing it in it didn't work for me. I have experienced also with the fuzz (as is normal when you are using that technology with transistors from the 60's) that heat or cold affects the settings, so you cannot just make some marks, or remember where to set if for certain sounds, you just have to try and hear it.

But back to octaves. I heard about the KR Doubler, and have never tried one, but am considering trying to sell my HBE UFO to get some money for one. I have high hopes for it. Reportedly, from reviews, it is just what I'm looking for.

12. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

I have Octron #12. I got on the list as soon as I heard about it last year. I still love it.

It DOES have fuzz, and you can dial down the gain, and tone of it, but there is always a little hair around it.

There are 2 modes that are controlled by an internal jumper - octavia and more standard octave. I never tried the octavia settings, but I'd imagine that they are close if not spot on to the CC2 octave tones. I don't have a CC2 so my words are pretty useless here, but just to point out that there is a A/B inside the pedal for "whacky" and "cool"

You can blend in the volumes of the 2 octaves, as well as blend in clean signal -. Just a great pedal IMO.

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

My Roger Mayer Octavia into my SunFace is pretty sick... The "boost" on the octavia is all the way down and the Sunface is full bore....

14. hcfx alex d

hcfx alex d Member

you might also want to try out that new ehx hog when it comes out, it looks like it can do pog stuff but also cover the whammy bases also (and mor eof course) :RoCkIn

15. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

how does a fuzz sound into an amp that is already pushing a little gain? also are fuzz's smooth gain sounding or are they more buzzy?

16. eric-d

eric-d Member

fuzz usually sounds "buzzy" on a clean amp. If the amp is already clipping, it's usually tends to smooth out the fuzz.

17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Most octave up units are basically fuzzes and there's not a CLEAN octave sound in there. Octave down boxes I think are more likely to be clean. The POG would be a good alternative, as would the EH Octave Multiplexer for an octave down. Havne't played an Octron. I have played a CC2, and that's an Octavia clone which is a fuzzy octave, not at all clean. There's a lot of rack units which will allow you to do octaves up and down, but the Whammy is a pretty cost effective way to do this, why not stick with that?

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks...VERY much. I either forgot about that or I never knew it.
    Definitely am going to try it though! Thanks!!

19. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Since you're used to the whammy pedal... you may actually like the zvex johnny octave. I say this because the digitech is very unnatural and digital sounding... and cuts through high gain. The zvex is kind or ring moddish and cuts through very high gain well. THere is nothing remotely subtle about it. Many of the high end octaves are very clean and not as "in your face" as the zvex and the whammy.

I also like the way the zvex responds to picking dynamics... It can really distort if you chug on it hard...and clean up with a soft touch.

It has no sustain though... it abruptly cuts off your note... I dig it that way cuz it has a sharp attack... and when I want sustain I just add a delay

Personally, I don't really dig the octave/ fuzz.. I prefer to have those two as separate pedals... we're all anal gearheads around here and it's nice to shop for fuzz sounds separately right?

Octave downs are usually really clean... best one I've played is the EBS... sounds great with envelope filters and wah for that Grateful Dead type thing

20. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Digitech Bass Synth Wah is the fastest tracking octave I've found, both the Synth Wah and Bass Synth Wah will work on Guitar. What you do is put it on octave synth and turn one of the controls down and all you get is the octave below and you use another knob to blend between the signals.

Hope this helps