Are there any Gretsch Pro Jet upgrade pickups?

Tbone135

I'm so confused at this point. Are there any Filtertrons that will simply fit this guitar? Thanks for any help with this.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Are you talking about the Japanese built or Korean built Gretsch? TV Jones makes pickups that will fit the lot, English mount, with tabs, without, etc, etc, etc. Check out his website.

http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/tvclassic.html

Standard Mount
Standard No Ears
Humbucker Mount
Soapbar Mount
DeArmond Mount
EM1 English Mount
EM2 English Mount

Lots of tonal options, I'm a Classic fan myself but I've tried most of them over time and they all have their place. Great folks to deal with too, and I'd recommend ordering from Joel at Shanghai Music and Sound as he's got some of the best prices around.

Good luck!

televox

Gold Supporting Member
Just bought one of the Pro Jet Electromatics...wow, excellent guitars for the price!

Tbone135

It looks like GFS does make some that fit easier than the TV Jones stuff. Now I just need to pick single coils or HBs.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah but there's no comparison between the GFS and TV Jones pickups IMHO, bargain basement versus Professional Grade pickups in my experience. The GFS will work, they're not horrible, but they're nothing to write home about either. But that's just my opinion.

And no, I have no affiliation with TV Jones or anyone else for that matter; just a happy customer.

Happy Playing!

Tbone135

If the TV Jones had a simple replacement model for the Pro Jet, I'd be all over it. I just don't have the time or skill to put into a cheapie guitar anyway.

televox

Gold Supporting Member
Apparently the pickup routes vary in depth on the Pro Jet, I've read some people have managed to drop in TV Jones with no routing.

Tbone135, how have you gone with your Pro Jet?

I'm in the middle of upgrading the pickups on mine as well, so I'm curious...

steve108819

I'm weird. I've had my Pro Jet for over a year and a half and have never felt the need to upgrade the pups.

televox

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah they're not bad but they are very dark. I've even tried a 1meg tone pot, still very dark pickups. I think a pickup change would turn a good guitar with potential into a great guitar.

steve108819

I don't think the mini-hums in the Pro Jet are dark at all. Mine chime all day long. The Gretsch 'Buckers in the 512X guitars is another story.

Tbone135

I haven't changed anything out in my Pro Jet yet, I'm digging it still. It's definitely not dark and pretty twangy. I just wonder what I'm missing out on with the Filtertrons.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I have some GFS P-90 types in mine. They came with it and were a direct replacement for the original DeArmond sized PUs that were in there. They sound good.

Mike

televox

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting, mine is definitely dark especially the neck pickup, the bridge is cool but still darker compared to other guitars I own. I do like my guitars to have clarity and bite though.

C-mac, that single coil looks interesting, how does it compare to the stock bucker?

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting, mine is definitely dark especially the neck pickup, the bridge is cool but still darker compared to other guitars I own. I do like my guitars to have clarity and bite though.

C-mac, that single coil looks interesting, how does it compare to the stock bucker?
I found the neck pickup to be muddy that is why I was looking for a replacement in the first place. Installing that single coil changed the guitar completely. The neck position became very musical and much more useful.

Trending Topics