Are there any issues with converting an old tube radio...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rubbersoul, Jul 9, 2008.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

...into a guitar amplifier? I'm looking to get my hands on an old tube radio, one of those cathedral style, 1930's radios, put a Weber 8 incher in there and something like a Gilmore Jr. or a d-labamps 3 watt chassis.

What is the minimum size the shell of the cabinet should be? Some of these look pretty thin...is 1/2 inch the "minimum"? I know Emery Sound amps are 1/2 inch mahogany.

Some of these look like they're made of cherry? or oak? Would there be resonance issues?

I'm just looking for a cheap project to engage in. I think I could rig up a pretty nice tube amp for around $350 and have something with some cool style.

Has anyone tried this? Are there issues in general?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

2. baald

baald Member

i did exactly that to an old floorstanding westinghouse (i think it was a westinghouse...). made a great living room amp.

3. Fxrs

Fxrs Member

I bought an old console stereo at my neighbor's yard sale (for $1), I forget the brand name, but it's got 4 Amperex EL-84's, 3 RCA 12AX7's and an RCA 5U4GB, I asked one guy (who does a lot of high end tech work around here) and he didn't want to touch it.

4. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks guys...anyone else have experience doing this?? :)

5. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I have seen inside some of these old types of radios and things.
    Sometimes it seems better to just use the shell of the unit and then build a new board and wire things up with a regular guitar amp circuit.
    Most of the ones I have seen have been really funky inside with resistors and wires all over the place.

6. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Oh yeah, my intention was to gut the thing down to just the cab and then re-install a small guitar amp chassis and new speaker in it. I should clarify that my concerns were really about the cabs themselves...do I need to make sure I have a certain thickness of cab and does the wood type make a big difference?

I was wondering if anyone out there had done this and had a good sound come out of these old radio cabs.

7. nofootprints

nofootprints Member

My Dad had an old tube stereo amplifier that he built from a kit when he was in college. Unfortunately, he sold it when I was out of the country several years ago. I wasn't into electric guitar back then, but I was still sorry to hear he'd sold it...at this point in my life I'm even sorrier!!