Are there any jazz esembles that do not have a bassist and a drummer?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by purestmonk, Jan 23, 2012.

1. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

Im considering playing in a group that has only horns, piano and guitar and I would love to check out groups that have no drums and bass. Challenging for sure

2. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

Jazz would be nothing without pioneers. #3((, some of the best jazzers say that jazz IS nothing.

3. Alard

Alard Member

4. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

It could definately work. Just play a lot of "rhythm guitar" when the piano is taking the lead.. and get the pianist to explore the beat-keeping potential of his 'percussive instrument'. It's also very possible for the piano-player to hold down some great bass-lines.

5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I've played without either but never without both. No reason it couldn't work but I guess it'll put more presure on whoever has to hold down the puse and bottom and that might well be the guitar.

6. sideman

sideman Member

Yeh, usually you have one or the other missing, but not both. But I've done some jazz duo gigs with a sax and guitar (primarily when money was short). It favors old-style jazz guitar: vamping on chords to lay down a rhythm, and hitting the low root in a way that modern stylists don't care for. Several good country roots bands work without drums, but with an upright bass (like Hot Club of Cowtown). And I think I heard that Rod Piazza and the Flyers, an excellent blues band, has taken to working without a bass.

7. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Jimmy Giuffre Trio-Giuffre on clarinet Jim Hall on guitar Bob Brookmeyer on valve trombone

8. chervokas

chervokas Member

World Saxophone Quartet comes to mind.

9. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Did they leave you to form the Black Keys?

10. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Bill Frisell did a record called Quartet which featured Bill with trombone, trumpet and violin (there was also some tuba).

Here is that group with jerry Douglas (dobro) sitting in:

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. That's one lineup I need to check out.

12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

There's also the great News For Lulu trio: George Lewis - trombone, John Zorn - alto sax, Bill Frisell - guitar and looper.

They covered bebop standards.

13. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Fellow fan! I've loved Giuffre's trios of the late 1950s/early 1960s for years now. I still think Western Suite is one of the greatest jazz albums ever made. And Giuffre never forgot the blues, either, not even at his most adventurous.

14. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Terrific trio! Frisell and Lewis alternated in filling out the bass line, although sometimes going without....

Technically, they focused more on post bop or hard bop - Hank Mobley, Sonny Clark, Freddie Redd, Kenny Dorham....

Lately, I've been digging Anthony Braxton's trio recording with Mary Halverson (gtr) and Taylor Ho Bynum (tpt)

15. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

thanks for the replies guys!

i really like the jimmy giuffre trio and news for lulu

ill have to say that jim hall holds it down really well, im amazed
    there are some duo videos (duos not considered an ensemble) of jim hall and bob brookmeyer on youtube that's really great if you've the chance to watch it