Are there any Jazzmasters with a thin [non rounded] neck?

Lightningrt

By that I mean not a rounded D profile like the 60's necks that the re-issues have.

I have smallish hands and the neck on,for example, the Jim Adkins Tele - which they call the Modern C - is a good fit.

Cheers

RT

Larry Mal

I have two Jazzmasters, one of the '62 AVRI models and an early 90's Japanese made model. Both are great and super playable, the Japanese one has a noticeably slimmer carve to the neck. The AVRI has a rounder shape, still fairly slim, the Japanese version is slimmer and flatter.

Custom Deluxe

I have two Jazzmasters, one of the '62 AVRI models and an early 90's Japanese made model. Both are great and super playable, the Japanese one has a noticeably slimmer carve to the neck. The AVRI has a rounder shape, still fairly slim, the Japanese version is slimmer and flatter.
How would you compare the two models you have? Both are cool, but I've heard the Japanese picks-up deviate from the "traditional" tone of a JM.

Reason I ask is a JM is on my short list of guitars to get next.

Sorry to hi-jack.

Thanks,

Larry Mal

No, it's no problem. The Japanese guitars are absolutely great, and if I had to pick one of the two Jazzmasters I own it would be the Japanese made one. I've had it for twenty years now, and intend to have it when I die. The playability on the things is staggering. Great guitars. But I'm very sentimental about that one. I learned how to play guitar on it, how to express myself.

That being said, though, sadly I have to say that literally everything on it is worse in some small way than they are on the AVRI. The tremolo unit is a little cheaper and feels a little more flimsy, the bridges suck even worse than they do on the AVRI, where they still suck. And what you heard about the pickups is true, they aren't bad, but they aren't really all that Jazzmastery.

Of course, bear in mind they've been made for over two decades in at least two factories that I'm aware of. Saying "Japanese Fender" isn't the full story. I hear that the new ones have better pickups and electronics.

So I'd recommend to anyone that they get the Japanese made model, and have for years, but get used to it and plan to upgrade when or if you see fit. All you'd really need to do is to maybe put in a set of those new '65 AV pickups that Fender sells and you'd have a great guitar, a world class Jazzmaster.

But!

That's what I used to recommend. Now I kind of don't know what to say, there's a new model out there and I don't know a lot about them and I don't know anyone who does.

http://www.nstuffmusic.com/p-35620-fender-60s-jazzmaster-lacquer-electric-guitar.aspx

That's it. So, it's Mexican made, still has the excellently reviewed AV65 pickups, it has a cheaper tremolo system than probably even the Japanese made models but I don't really know that. Probably a great guitar. No idea about the neck.

But it should be the excellent entry Jazzmaster I've been waiting for, and it should lower the prices on the Japanese made models to what they really should be anyway. They've been flirting with $800-1000 for too long and they should be a $600 guitar. But the price is high because they are so well regarded.

So I'm not sure what to say. I'd probably recommend that anyone wanting a great Jazzmaster or Jaguar who's never played one before get that lacquer Mexican made one. But since they aren't actually out yet I can't really say.

It's a confusing time for Jazzmaster blowhards like myself.

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
No, it's no problem. The Japanese guitars are absolutely great, and if I had to pick one of the two Jazzmasters I own it would be the Japanese made one. I've had it for twenty years now, and intend to have it when I die. The playability on the things is staggering. Great guitars. But I'm very sentimental about that one. I learned how to play guitar on it, how to express myself.
WORD.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with the Japanese Jazzmaster love. I have an old CiJ Jazzmaster that's been heavily upgraded. It's every bit as good, or better, than any Jazzmaster I've played. The wooden parts are really great. I replaced just about everything else: Mastery Bridge, Mastery Vibrato, Antiquity II pickups, Sperzal tuners. It's a really great guitar, and even with all this done, I only have about $1200 into it.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
LOVE my MIJ Jazzmaster. The pickups and the bridge needed to go, but that was it. Now the guitar is a sex machine!

Trending Topics