Are there any nylon type strings that stay in tune better than others?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yr Blues, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I love the tone of a good nylon string guitar, but they don't stay in tune as well as steel.

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I've had nylon alongside steel just about the whole time I've been playing, and my impression is the opposite. - Once nylon strings have settled in, which takes a lot longer than steel, they are more stable. Other materials might have a shorter settling in period, that would be interesting to know.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  3. DGrig

DGrig Member

No they don't do they. FWIW, the absolute best, most consistant nylon strings I ever used were D'Addario Pro-Artes. Extra hard tension yeah!

4. corbetta

corbetta Member

Try tuning the trebles half a step up overnight. Speeds up the stretching/settling process considerably.

5. corbetta

corbetta Member

Also: the basses can and should be stretched upon changing strings by tugging them (gently) at the twelfth fret until they stop dropping in pitch.

Don’t stretch the trebles that way: they easily get deformed and the intonation goes out of the window

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Be gentle if you've had to knot the strings.

7. corbetta

corbetta Member

IME you'd be hard pressed to undo a wound string knot by tugging at the twelfth fret, unless you really botched the knot. I could see it happen on a plain nylon string, but you'd still stretch it past the elastic point before slippage.

8. mattthehoople

mattthehoople Member

I prefer Savarez Alliance Corum 500AJ, which are high tension w/ carbon trebles. They really make a cedar top come alive if you find it too dark with regular nylon. Also double looping the bridge tie helps the stretching a little bit, doesn't take as long for the strings to settle in. But remember classical guitars don't have near the bracing that steel string guitars have, and I would caution against too much up tuning.

9. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

Thanks for the recommendations. Lots of good information.