• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Are there any other artists who have changed styles more often than Bob Dylan?

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think so. I was just listening to New Morning, and it occurred to me that a lot of it is nothing like anything else in his catalog. Another flyer was Nashville Skyline. Self Portrait - which, unlike most critics, I actually like - is a whole collection of different styles, some of which only appear on that album (Bob as a crooner?!). Do you have any other chameleons in mind... with examples? I'm mostly thinking of the Pop/Rock genres, but you needn't be limited to that.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think so. I was just listening to New Morning, and it occurred to me that a lot of it is nothing like anything else in his catalog. Another flyer was Nashville Skyline. Self Portrait - which, unlike most critics, I actually like - is a whole collection of different styles, some of which only appear on that album (Bob as a crooner?!). Do you have any other chameleons in mind... with examples? I'm mostly thinking of the Pop/Rock genres, but you needn't be limited to that.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/self-portrait-107056/

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ I'm not sure if each of those examples represents a completely different and unique style. Nevertheless.... YOU WIN...

and you forgot Tin Machine.
I was getting there, then I realised I was supposed to be getting ready for work and not banging on about Bowie on the internet! Definitely a couple of holes in the Bowie canon there...

I'm a huge Dylan fan as well though!

Don P.

Silver Supporting Member
I think that it is fair to say that no two Bob Dylan records sound a like even in the eighties when he wasn’t terribly motivated, “never give a 100%” era. Knocked Out Loaded and Down In The Groove have a couple of very good/great moments.

Trending Topics