Are there any pedals that just do the MODULATION of the DMM?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Oct 8, 2012.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I get my fav faux Leslie tone through my Deluxe Memory Man. Does any one build a pedal that is only the MOD part of the DMM?

2. thealmightycapo

thealmightycapo Member

Part of the magic of modulated delay is how the vibrato on the wet signal interacts with the steady dry sound. That's what creates the chorus effect... I'd say trying to sell a chorus or vibrato on those lines would be a lose-lose for most builders. Maybe somebody could do it for you from a schematic though.

3. Skreddy

Skreddy Vendor

The mod part of the DMM only modulates the delay time, which requires the rest of the whole thing in order to do anything. If you just wanted the mod part, what would it modulate?

4. Structo

Structo Member

I use the modulation setting on my Boss RV-5 for that effect.

5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Thanks all. That must be why it works so well. Bummer. At least I have one. Maybe I just need a second delay for when I use the DMM as my Leslie tone. (BTW: I prefer that to the Flint - which I also have. I just appreciate it's subtlety).

Marc, the way I set it for "Leslie" tones is to use the chorus setting, turn the mod to about 9:00 and the delay and feedback off and bring the blend up considerably. If the mod is only the delay, what is modulating? (Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to understand).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  6. cookieshoes

cookieshoes Member

Try the Diamond Vibrato pedal.

7. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

The preamp part of the DMM is hard to replicate, I'm thinking that's pretty important to the sound you like.

My favorite faux leslie is an Analogman Chorus, but not sure it'd be what you're looking for.

8. Skreddy

Skreddy Vendor

It's modulating the delay time. This causes the data in the delay's memory (analog or digital, it's still the same concept--bits of data are either held in memory and then retrieved or else are propelled along via high-frequency impulses) to spill out at a different rate than that which they were recorded at, creating a change in pitch. It would work the same way if you changed the motor speed of a tape delay too. But there's nothing that's changing the pitch in the electronics--that's just a side effect.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  9. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

the small clone does that sound. Analogmans clone is too tame. But the real small clone does it.

beastly likes this.
  10. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

It's got nothing to do with the preamp... this effect takes place at the bucket brigade chips section. And as discussed so many times, there is no tone sweetening etc. happening at the DMM preamp (for example a la Echoplex) at all. It's very simple, clean, neutral, and even a little dull if you are not giving it a buffered signal.

Davin Kuntze likes this.
  11. Jellybelly33

Jellybelly33 Member

I'd say this is your best, cheapest and coolest-looking (if that matters) route. Small Clones & Stones are easily two of the coolest looking, most simple and greatest sounding modulation pedals around. The EHX reissues are great but I'd go for a 'Big Box' model rather than the nano small clone...

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Small Clone or original big box Clone Theory has that sort of classic EH modulation.

13. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I have a Diamond Vibrato and a DMM, and I agree with this suggestion.

14. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I used to have a big box Russian Small Stone. I thought it sounded like a decent Vibe but not Leslie like at all.

15. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Supporting Member

That's a phaser. You want the Small Clone to get a chorus effect.

16. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Maybe try an Electric Mistress flanger? Or the PolyChorus?

Or at least a Small Clone. I guess they are work on the same method to produce the modulation which is incorporated into the DMM.

I see the DMM as a "chorused delay" delay pedal. It taps off the input signal, first feeds it into the delay circuit, and then processes that delayed signal through a modulation circuit.

When the processed signal is mixed back with the 'dry' input signal, or heard in a two amp 'wet/dry' setup, the signals aurally combine to create the chorusing effect. But because the processed signal is delayed first, it waves in and out from the main signal, rather than be a continuous warbly wobble. That is what makes it sound so effective.

17. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

It doesn't create anything different in a two amp setup... it only provides the unaffected signal on one output and the final DMM signal - not just the wet - on the other (the same that you would have if you only used one amp). I've gigged with two amps in that setup, and I thought that I would have some sort of pseudo-stereo effect, but obviously it didn't. The creation of the chorus effect however has nothing to do with that.

18. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Necro Bump. Any one make anything like this yet?!?

Omi79 likes this.
  19. Omi79

Omi79 Member

Im interested in this too

oansun likes this.
  20. beastly

beastly Member