Are there any pedals that sound like a BJFE Dyna Red?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Feb 20, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Many boutique pedals seem to be based on something or other. What pedal do you Dyna Red owners liken it to? For instance, I can get my Eternity and Barber Direct Drive to sound similar. Not the same and once you start turning knobs, they can be totally dissimilar but...I can get one sound out of my DD that is similar to one sound from my Eternity. I want a DRD but there's no way I can spend that kind of money on a pedal! What pedal does the DRD sound like? A Rat? A Blues Driver? Gov'ner?:jo

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have the DRD, and I also have the MI Audio Crunchbox and BYOC Shredder (Marshall Shredmaster). They are all in the marshall territory, but i will try to break down my opinions on them:

Dyna Red:
    Amazing sonic clarity, keeps very good picking attack even under high gain. Very Quiet, tight low end. Can get pretty bright, i usually keep my treble around 9:00. Best sounding of the three by a ways.

BYOC Shredder:
    A little more gain than the DRD, and more low-mids as well. However, the upper frequency response is a little more artificial and it lacks the sonic clarity that the DRD has. A little noisier due to the emphasis on low mids. It is quite tweakable because of the three way EQ. Great sounding pedal, one of your best options.

MI Audio Crunchbox:
    Has the most gain of the three. High end sounds a lot more shrill and harsh, and sounds the thinnest of the three pedals. It does leads pretty well, but is also the noisiest of the three pedals. Overall not a bad pedal, but not near the pleasing sound quality of the DRD. Thicker than say a DS-1, and better picking attack than a DS-1 (surprise, not hard to do). Not a bad option.

Conclusion:

You get what you pay for. Seriously, the DRD is worth the money IMO. Best sounding distortion I have every heard. However, if you are on a budget the other two pedals are good options. The BYOC Shredder pwns the Crunchbox IMO, and for some applications I prefer it to the DRD. If you are looking for a replacement for the DRD i would go with the Shredder for sure, although it still is quite different. A RAT is nothing like a DRD, it is much more fuzzy (not necessarily bad) but not the smooth pristine distortion you get from a DRD.

Another good option is the MP Mighty Red. I have heard it is very close to the DRD and some people prefer it.

Any BJF pedal is worth the investment because you can always sell it for the same amount you bought it for.

3. Dave

Dave Member

I've never heard/owned another pedal that sounds like the DRD. Not my cup-o-tea, but still a great pedal IMO.

4. Craise

Craise Member

I'll tell you what you should try...
    I remember I checked out a tour box that had a few modded Boss DS-1 pedals in it.
    They all sounded better than stock. But the one "indyguitarist" modded one really sounded great.
    Side by side I compared it to the dyna red and it really did cop alot of the dyna's marshall tone.
    Now!! having said that! ;-)
    Be sure that the Dyna not only still sounded better (more note definition) and more dynamic feel and touch sensitivity..ect
    I have no problem saying that the Indymodded DS-1 is a poorman's Dyna-Red.
    Not sure what exactly the mod is called but...you might check it out!
    It did give the DS-1 more dynamics and more power amp like tone.
    :dude

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've seen the Fetto compared to the DRD - both of them sharing many characteristics. I have a Fetto Dlx., and would think that with the external controls you could probably get extremely close to the DRD sound. And the Fetto can be extremely dynamic / touch sensitive as well.

-Ben

6. gregory49

gregory49 Member

occtone DS1? Brad was using one from aerosmith.

7. Sid

Sid Member

now i have to try the fetto...cos i cant believe anything can beat the dyna for a marshall sound

8. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

The Fetto looks cool but it's the same price as a new DRD. If I'm spending that much, I may as well go all the way for a DRD so I know my resale will be good. Hopefully, no need to resell, but how can I buy a $400+ pedal that I've not even heard?!?:jo

9. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I had 2 DRD's and compared them both my Barber BUEQ. I was able to reproduce the DRD's tones with the BU EQ-- in fact, I preferred the BU EQ and sold the DRD.

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

At 130 bucks, the CMATMODS Brownie is a no-brainer. Check the board for fr8_trane specs on it, as it is a bit different from stock. Hands-down, the greatest DISTORTION I've ever heard. No need FOR ME to look ANY further. The only boxes I haven't played are the Fetto and the MP stuff, but I could basically care less. . .

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I haven't tried the DRD but I have tried or currently own most of the BJF line.

I also tried the Fetto and the Fetto Deluxe in a tourbox a while back. I didn't care for either at all really. I found them too bright and harsh.

Now, I had a bright Tele and a bright Tophat (at the time) but they just didn't do it for me. They sure could cut though!

That said, I'm not really a Marshall kinda guy. I prefer Vox and Tweed sounds. The BJF drives that I've owned or currently own are very different than the Fettos.

12. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

So you've tried the DRD and liked the Brownie better?

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The Fetto is $299, the Dlx. is $399.
    The other thing is, the Fetto is more readily available than a BJF DRD.

-Ben

14. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Still...$300 is a little rich for me.

15. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

well, "editing" works wonders sometimes...BJF and BARBER::BEER

16. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

What d'ya mean?

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

I havent found a pedal with identical harmonics and dynamic control -- there may be something you like even better and for less money with your particular situation ... but the Dyna has its own set of variables - to me it sounds like a JMP Marshall I played for years with some Vox upper mids and harmonics mixed in - it does the 4x12 bounce/dynamic 'chunk' response better than anything Ive found...... it also records really well. And I also particullarly like its lower drive settings around 10 oclock ...

But there are many Marshally pedals and you may want something thats even closer to a particular Marshall model/cab...

You might do well to just get DS1 (metal screw if you can find one) and a Graphic EQ and see what variables works best with your Rig, and then look for that in a more useful package ;)

18. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Exactly why I love it - it has some great characteristics of a Marshall, and some great characteristics of a Vox!

19. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yeah it has its own feel the more you play it......and we can never have enough distortion choices :AOK

The Mighty Red is another good choice - it has a more even compression and is EQd more for Modern Rock

The Fetto Deluxe is very versatile and probably the best all around straight Marshall copper Ive heard - more JCM800 centered tones....

the Barber Burn Unit and Small Fry are also excellent and worth considering and quite versatile.....

again your usually best off if you can try a few of them side by side with your own rig,,,,,,:AOK

20. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

That's the problem. Nobody carries this stuff where I can go check it out. I'd know in 5 minutes if a certain pedal is for me. Anything over $220 is pushing it for a pedal...I've paid over $300 and been burned. I don't wish to feel that again. If it's a lifer than I don't care how much it is but how and I gonna know? I guess resale on high end boutique pedals is good...but in this economy? Who knows?

I appreciate everyone's help. I'm not trying to piss off the builders...their pedals are great and desirable for a reason. BUT...I've built a few pedal clones and I know that there's just $40 worth of material in there. I know that time and knowledge go into the build. But any pedal over $250 had better take me out to dinner if it wants a date.:roll