Are there any singers who can really play the guitar?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by olimassaquoi, Oct 17, 2013.

1. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

For a working player, that was absolutely average playing/soloing. He used the same group of licks in both solos, and those haven't been fresh since FreeBird.

Adam can certainly play the guitar competantly, sing quite well, writes super catchy songs, is a great host/MC.... there is a whole lot to like about Adam, and I'm a fan, but his guitar playing isn't very exceptional.

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

True, I mean the guy isn't at Keith Urban's level of guitar mastery but he's pretty good for a pretty boy pop star, eh?

3. McShred

He's better than I expected, and when you put it together with all his other attributes, singing, songwriting and almost as likeable a guy as Dave Grohl, he's definitely dangerous. :)

4. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

5. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

Warren has an excellent voice, +1

6. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Roger Daltrey is a pretty fair guitarist, in fact, when The Who were still known as the Detours in the early days, Roger was the lead guitarist. He gave it up because Townshend was better.

I've seen Roger playing guitar onstage, but strictly rhythm. He held his own just fine.

7. McShred

We're not talking about pretty fair, LOL, we're talking exceptional.

Pete Towshend wouldnt make the guitar cut in a million years, Daltrey would be bringing up the rear somwhere around the Joan Jett, Johnny Ramone group.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

So now even Pete Townshend isn't an exceptional guitarist?

9. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I would have to agree with this... He writes great tunes, but I don't consider him an astounding guitar player. The dude could probably play circles around me but I don't think I've ever heard anything in The Who's discography that really alludes to that.

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Seriously? Townshend pretty much invented a lot of the things I take for granted...

total genius.

11. A-Bone

Amen.

12. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

Yes. That's what they're saying....and they're right.

13. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Two words. Hughie Thomasson.

Dude was unique in both. Two notes of his playing and two notes of his singing and I knew it was him. Left side is Hughie, right is Billy Jones, heck in my book both qualify.

14. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

:spit

15. McShred

Withing the context of the OP's post, we're talking musicianship, just discussing the merits of their playing. Just because someone is an icon and has created an impressive body of work, doesn't necessarily mean they are a great 'guitar' player.

By that yardstick we might as well throw Neil Young, Willie Nelson, Billie Joe Armstrong, Steve Jones, Bob Dylan, and a host of other icons on the list. I think though, that it gets away from the intent of the OP

16. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Hard to believe that Prince wasn't mentioned until page 15.

17. A-Bone

Not really.

I guess we all have different yardsticks for musicianship, technique, and the like. Townshend certainly isn't the sort of player to typically tear off extended solos showcasing his chops and depth of fretboard mastery, but he strikes me as pretty off the charts in terms of musicianship, and I guess I don't accept the notion that fretboard gymnastics are the sole measure of exceptional guitarists.

18. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

I did list Billie Joe Armstrong on a previous post. Art is subjective and personal, so no one is right and no one is wrong. Eddie Van Halen has been quoted numerous times as saying that Armstrong is his favorite guitar player. BJA CAN REALLY PLAY THE GUITAR. And he's certainly a singer, although some will no doubt knock his singing.

19. McShred

I would be happy to be proven wrong. Please post a clip or video of BJ doing something other than strumming or uber simplistic soloing.

This is the kid of stuff I'm finding, and certainly wouldn't qualify as great, although its obvious Billie isn't a hack.

20. silentbob

silentbob Member

Damon Johnson is pretty talented as a singer and a player. I loved his work with Brother Cane.