Are there any standard melodic and harmonic minor fingerings for guitar

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Frank Prince, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

similiar to the CAGED system?

I have messed around trying to find a few, but have not yet hit on a system where I'm finding any consistency.

The CAGED system helped a lot for learning the diatonic major modes in position, and then linking them together all over the neck. I was hoping for something similar for melodic and harmonic minor.

2. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Most "standard" fingerings for guitar try to keep the hand in one position, playing 3 or 2 notes per string. Play a C major scale in any position. Lower the E to Eb: Melodic minor. Then lower the A to Ab: Harmonic minor.

Using 2/3-notes per string fingerings can make it hard to visualize the scale across the neck. Be sure to practise 4-note per string fingerings as well, as these will force you to find scale tones on the whole neck.

3. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

So, I can just adjust the CAGED method by 2 notes? Brilliant!

I like to have at least one solid fingering for a scale down before I start drilling the modes.

I like to get the sound of each scale or mode down and then apply fingerings to it, instead of vice versa. I have never been one of those guys who says "OK, for Dorian, I will just play in C Ionian". The chord tones never line up right for me, and it never sounds melodic.

For Dorian, I like to have drilled Dorian.

4. garyh

garyh Member

The Berklee Series books by William Leavitt (I think #2 especially) have 12 positions mapped across the guitar for major chords and also does harmonic and melodic minor , diminished and wholetone, I believe. It's been quite a while for me but they are there, I'm sure.

5. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Cool, thanks, I'll check those out.