• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Are there any threads about JMI amps?

andy888

Im interested in these amps.

Can't seem to find any using the search function......thanks

markom89

What do you want to know?
I've had both their AC15 Twin and AC30/6TB.
Fantastic amps.

andy888

im being quoted for one at around $3800 (cdn) for the combo, it just seems extremely steep to me, have you compared one with say an AC30 handwired combo? im kinda afraid to buy a vox because of so many reliability issues that i keep hearing about. i definetely do not want a custom classic either....

stoob0t

I tried out their AC30 when i was in Manchester a while back. It was the 30/6 that i spent the most time with - seemed like a rock solid amp - and sounded exactly how i'd expect a well built AC30 re-issue to sound - benchmark AC30TB tones in spades.

They look very well built, and very tidy. Here's a guts shot i found on their site...

http://www.jmiamplification.com/Images/amps/chass5.jpg

(too big to link directly)

soldano16

That's full price in a market where no one is getting full price.

Edit: But it is a VERY rare amp so if that's what you want....

markom89

$3800 CDN really isn't that bad... which one is it, though? If it's the AC15, I'd get them lower... even if it's the AC30 I'd get 'em lower. Who're you going through? Boutique Tone just started carrying JMI, though they're not listed on the site yet. I'm gonna' pickup another AC15 and AC30 again some day.

andy888

The one I want is the 30/4 its going for about 3900CDN plus tax. I think that's the one with the EF-86 pre, 2x12 combo. so its a 2 channel i think with a TB.

This is directly from them, have you talked to BT about carrying JMI? I see nothing on their site.

Have you compared a 30/4 and an AC-30 or even something vintage? I could probably get my hands on a 62' or 63' for that price.

andy888

that gut shot looks nice!!

So am I correct in saying that the Vox AC-30 handwired is not actually handwired? I saw a gut shot of that amp with a PCB, so its not hand wired. Maybe hand assembled? Not that I have anything against PCB's.

stoob0t

I wasnt aware there were PCB's in the VOX AC30 HW, but i'd be surprised if it's wired as nicely as the JMI equivalent. I must admit though, i've never heard any complaints about the re-issue handwired AC30's, only really the CC2 CC1 models.

I do agree though, that for that kind of money you're not far off picking up a decent original 60's AC30 - although with that, you get all the issues that they're infamous for.

Last edited:

fullerplast

Make sure you specify which AC30HW you are referring to....they are quite different. The limited edition HW run built in the UK is the last British built AC30 and it looks like this:

The "HW" versions assembled in China is a completely different type of construction, part PCB, part flying leads and looks like this:

The "real" vintage AC30's are not something to be afraid of in terms of reliability as long as they are properly serviced and have good EL84's. They look like this:

I'm sure the JMI's are fine reproductions, but for that money (or even less) I'd personally go for either an original vintage or the UK HW. Original handwired UK Voxes will always be more valuable over time than reproductions IMHO.

cyguitar

im being quoted for one at around $3800 (cdn) for the combo, it just seems extremely steep to me, have you compared one with say an AC30 handwired combo? im kinda afraid to buy a vox because of so many reliability issues that i keep hearing about. i definetely do not want a custom classic either....

I have an AC30CC2, I installed Celestion Blues in it. PCB (Which btw looks like a good solid PCB) or not, it sounds incredible. I have had no reliability issues with this one or one I had previously. The JMI does look like a nice amp, and if you can afford it go for it.

markom89

This is directly from them, have you talked to BT about carrying JMI? I see nothing on their site.
They were in Toronto this past weekend with a bunch of their gear- "Boutique Tone on The Road", the first one, and so Carl mentioned that Jeremy was so floored by them @ NAMM '09 that he decided he wants to carry them. If you contact him and ask about it he'll tell you. They're an official dealer now, just need to update the site. JMI's are expensive, but well worth it, IMO. I got really good prices on both of mine when I got 'em, though. Can't wait to own another some day.

The JMI amps are quite stellar. BUILT EXTREMELY WELL. We've peeped inside a few of them now and the work and construction is impeccable.

There's a lot of hub bub about the pricing and why would you buy one when you can get an original for about the same price. In my opinion they are worth the price.

Trending Topics