• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Are there any time based EFX like Reverb that are designed to go in front of a distorted amp??

Russ73

Dont know if this is a stupid question but was curious if any pedal designers figured out a way to get a reverb or delay pedal to sound good in front of a high gain amp, its just so much easier for set up that way and was curious of anyone has heard of something like this....thx!

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
reverbs with plate, room and hall (set low) are better for high gain than spring

also a simple slapback delay fills that space better to me on extreme gain settings

PLENTY of options to try

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
In fairness, he is talking about high gain amps. Most of these linked threads are talking about garden variety combos at the edge of break up and “dirty” amps. That’s not high gain.

Of course there are no rules, but I think traditional high gain wet sounds are probably using effects loops. I’m not sure what designers would do to combat the inherent challenges. Maybe an expert will chime in.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
when i ran a simple “all in front” of my mesa mk iv in high gain riffing, echo was much much better than reverb for solos

Russ73

OP here, Ill check out the threads but as mentioned mostly edge of break up questions, I use a 5153 with a HOF in the loop and obviously it sounds terrible up front, Ill check out some of the suggestions was just curious as for ease of setup...and for the guy who acted like he didnt know what I meant in the first post youre a moron as everyone else understood what I was asking, I could have been more specific describing my amp and I figured if anyone knew it would be on this board, thx again for everyones suggestions!

Creosote

The Caitlinbread Bell Epoch is excellent in front of a gainy amplifier. Their Echorec pedal also works well for this, but the Bell Epoch rules for this application. The Bell Epoch has a knob labeled record level. If you run this knob low, it will prevent the echo from being too present in your signal. It works perfect.

cap10kirk

IMO, reverb is useless in front of a high gain amp unless a super washed-out shoegaze type sound is what you're going for. A short delay can cover the same ground but retain better clarity. A digital delay with brighter, cleaner repeats will usually be more usable than a warmer analog delay in front of a high gain amp. Analog can work too, but I find it easier to dial in a good sound with digital delays, ymmv though.
You can definitely get usable sounds from using delay in front of a high gain amp, you may just have to approach it a little different than you would if you were using it in the loop. Keep in mind that you won't get the exact same sounds in front as you do in the loop though, any effect will sound and behave differently before distortion than after it.

nnnnnn

and for the guy who acted like he didnt know what I meant in the first post youre a moron
Even assuming they were pretending ignorance you've now stooped below their level.

Anyway, when using high gain distortion I rarely play chords with more than three different notes (not counting octaves) or with close voicings, because the way the frequencies add together and distort can be muddy (at best) or unpleasant. Using reverb or delay in front causes the same issue, adding more simultaneous notes to the distortion input. Some riffs will work better than others depending on the combination of notes produced by the delay.

I'm not sure how the design of a delay could significantly change that behaviour unless you get one with "ducking" settings.

(But yes, I know some combinations will be better than others, and one player's "muddy" is another player's "glorious".)

MrTAteMyBalls

If you want a well defined sound then reverb in front of high gain is not really gonna work. I have a few patches set this way because I like that super washy, ambient sound that it can give. You cant get that with reverb in the loop. But I could never play tight rhythms that way. It sounds frickin great for volume swells or single note droney stuff though.

In my experience - the mix control is your friend when running time FX into a crunchy amp....only need a tiny tiny bit of blend as the amp compresses the tails and they shoot up in volume.

spentron

It will help to use low mix but also short delays or very short reverbs, which will require an adjustment probably rather than a simple unit. On early Yamaha reverbs, there was usually a mode called early reference or something which was used with regeneration for full reverb sounds or could be used by itself. Also might be called short gated reverb mode.

There is a video that shows how important a short delay in front of the amp is for Van Halen rhythm playing. However I think anything higher gain or less open (preamp only gain) than that won't work. You will be better off moving some of the gain out of the amp and before the delay unit in many cases, which may take some doing to be satisfied with but can still sound much like your amp.

When I used a delay multieffect in front of an overdriven amp, I split the signal and distorted the signal slightly going into the delay, which limited the delay level so the direct sound could take over. The only pedal I see can do that by itself is the Belle Epoch and the demo and @Creosote above say not to use it for this application. In my case, the drive also thinned the sound (made midrange) and maybe the Belle more like scoops it. Also the demo doesn't try turning down the mix to compensate. I would expect almost anyone using an actual Echoplex in front of an overdriven amp would be pushing the record level to reduce noise.