Are there any totally transparent noise suppressors?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mahler, Dec 20, 2009.

1. mahler

mahler Member

2. mahler

mahler Member

And don't say a noiseless setup :D!

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Nova Dynamics.
    Top of the heap for me.
    And I've owned the heap.
    Nothing comes remotely close, short of a rack unit (which the Nova Dynamics essentially is!)

Oh yeah, it also includes the best guitar compressor available today, IMO.

4. mahler

mahler Member

Talk to me more about the Nova! Why is it the "best of the heap"?

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

All of the control of gate-related parameters, missing from most stompbox gates, is included in the Nova. I believe the high-end Maxon has similar controls, but the Nova offers so much more than the Maxon (an awesome compressor, specifically), all at a lower price point.

If you want total simplicity, the Decimator is hard to beat - much better than the NS-2 IMO. But, if you understand the basics of gating, and want the control to remove noise "exactly" the way you need to, the Nova is a no-brainer.

I will do a thorough review of the Nova Dynamics at some point. For now, I can say that for me, nothing remotely comes close.

6. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Almost bought the Nova Dynamics one time. Would be interested in the review.

From what I hear the ISP Decimator ProRack G is the best out there. Never played one and it's a $450 rack.

I have both the smartgate and the ISP regular and both do a fine job. But anytime you try to remove noise on either you 'will' do something to the signal. The first to be affected is the sustain. It's just a matter of how much change is tolerable. In most cases they work fine.

And it's not about tweaking them right for total transparency. IMO neither are completely transparent and they're not lexicon racks. There's only a couple knobs on each pedal so you can't go wrong. I have found the Smartgate will not remove much noise unless you have the High Trigger button engaged.

7. lingering_lead

lingering_lead Member

I have a ISP Decimator pedal. It does a great job. The only NS I've ever liked.