Are there any Tweed style amps with reverb?

Andrew.

...that still sound like a Tweed circuit with some added ambience from the on-board reverb?

Or is that just not possible without killing the Tweed sound?

Educate me.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
YMMV, but,

I think the 2 channel Tone Kings (Imperial, Sky King, Meteor, Metropolitan) get in the zip code on the lead (or tweed) channel. Takes some work with the tone and mid bite control, but I think it's close.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
I think it's definitely possible. I typically run a little reverb in to the front end of my tweed amps using pedals. It's really not a big deal to use a pedal, especially one that runs off a 9V. But yeah, it's another thing to hassle with.

Lazy J offers a reverb add on option to their tweed amps. I have a vague recollection of maybe Clark doing that occasionally. Victoria has a few: Regal, Silver Sonic

Mystix

Gold Supporting Member
Ive seen one on reverb - a Marsh 5e3 amp w/reverb …

Not a bad price - IIRC

look up Marsh twee- D- verb

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Swart and Victoria are definitely good choices.

On the STR-tweed, the reverb is in parallel (somewhat like older Ampegs, I’m told), which preserves the tweedish charm while adding springy ambience. I’m not sure how the higher wattage offerings are configured.

DontheMon

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Clark does reverb as an extra on his Tweed builds.

You might also consider something like a Vibro-King for a Fender clean that is "fuller" and looser than a Blackface with a great 3-knob reverb.

Personally, I haven't owned a Tweed which I wanted reverb on. Like VOX ACs, they have enough grit and character that I just don't miss it. You may find yourself having a similar opinion one day. And reverb works pretty well in front of Tweeds.

fescue

Find a good straightforward reverb pedal. Set it on the less springy side of things, good to go.

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
The Strymon Flint exists almost exclusively to add the sound of Fender reverb and Trem to amps that do not have it. I have a BF Deluxe Reverb, and I use the Flint more than I use the onboard 'verb and Trem on the amp itself. Ahem, vibrato...sorry Leo. Anyways, highly recommended.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
For me, the best store-bought way to add ambience to a tweed, is to use it with a Komet Ambikab Jr with the delay/reverb pedal of choice in the Ambi's loop. Top shelf.

What I want to do eventually is to build a simple add-a-verb unit, which would amount to borrowing the Ampeg design of driving the input to a reverb tank from the output of your chosen (tweed) amp, which of course also connects to its speaker. The rest of the gizmo would be essentially a simple preamp with tone controls to recover the signal from the reverb tank output, plus a modest power stage to drive a speaker (which would only be reproducing the wet signal.) Or you could go cheaper and just have the recovery/tone control stages, then provide an output jack to allow amplification of the wet signal with another amp you already own.

vrmd

Silver Supporting Member
My Victoria 45410 (2000) Bassman clone has reverb. Early model when they use to do that. LOVE this amp. I sometimes see them on Reverb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom