• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Are there effects that can be put between an amp and speaker?

exodus

Say I had a Marshall style head/amp that was plugged into two separate speaker cabinets (i.e., a full stack). Are there effects that can be put between the head and cab running at "amp level" (as opposed to "line level")? For example, if I wanted to spread the two cabinets apart (stage right/stage left), and delay the signal to one cab by a few milliseconds to create sort of a faux stereo setup. Basically, create a wet/dry setup, but without the need for two amps. Does anything like that exist?

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Nope.
You'd need something like a Bad Cat Unleash or Fryette Power Station to do something that.

stinkfoot

Indeed. There are ways to do it, but that involves placing a load on the amp (to stop it blowing up due to there being no speaker load), extracting a line level signal from there, running it through fx and then re-amplifying it (using another power amp) to feed the speaker. As mentioned, the Fryette Power Station does just that. But there's no way to do it without such an interface.

exodus

So, you basically always have to go back to 'line level' and then re-amplify the signal?

stinkfoot

Yup. And place a load on the amp's speaker output (fooling it into thinking there is a speaker connected), otherwise the amp will blow up.

MAGICboy

I remember a guy making a cable called the feedbacker.

He told me how to make it but it was so long ago there's no way I could do it or remember the parts.

you would have to run a dedicated amp to use it. It howled like a wolf.

Chandyland

I remember seeing some kind of spring reverb unit that went after the speaker out. I don't remember what it was called, though, and I think it contained its own speakers or something. Seemed weird.

Trending Topics