Are there really that many stacks being sold today?...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeyMrTeleMan, Aug 7, 2008.

1. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I picked up a copy of the latest Guitar Player with Pat Metheny on the cover, and it struck me how many full page color ads I spied for amp stacks throughout the magazine. Marshall, Framus, Carvin, "Bugera" (ooohhh!:eek:), Orange, VHT, Egnater, and Lone Wolf(?).

Wow! Are there that many stacks sold to justify those ads month after month?

Seems expensive...

HMTM

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

even for bedroom amps, stacks are definitely alive and well. if you play anything above a hearty shout, it just doesn't seem right unless it's through a stack - even if your scream is mouse-sized through an attenuator with your wife glaring at you.

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

You show them the Corvette and you sell them the Cobalt.

But the Vet gets them excited to buy.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Never been to the Harmony Central Amp Forum huh?

5. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

If I'm gonna waste time, I'm gonna waste it here!

:rotflmao

Freddie F.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I would think that bedrooms would be the main venue. I haven't been in many, even larger, clubs where you could use a stack above 3 without being taken out of the house mix. And no band I've been to see in 20 years in large venues has used one.

When they are used, I'll bet half of them are "dummies" (cool backdrops for the visual enjoyment of the "young at heart") and the real amps are off stage.

7. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

My second amp was a 5150II Halfstack. Matching cab... man that was sweet. I miss the straight up power but don't miss it really... yea I am mostly a bedroom wanker... haha

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

among guys my age they act mostly as a reverse penis-size/playing skill indicator.

9. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I've never been able to figure out who's buying all those 4x12 stacks. All I read here are guy's that get chewed out for turning up their Deluxes!

10. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I saw Bon Jovi on TV a few years back. Richie Sambora had 6 stacks with each stack consisting of 2 Tone Master heads and 2 matching 4x12 cabs. About a year later someone on ebay was selling a dummy Tone Master head supposedly owned by Richie.

11. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

But you're reading that on here from guys who's wives are the same age as their blackface amps.

12. Phil M

Phil M Member

I can't imagine a full stack and honestly, even though I'd like one, I've never even owned a half stack. I like the feel of the big cabinets but they are overkill for most things I do. A 2x12 has always been plenty for me, or occasionally two 2x12s with some distance between them.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

Ewwww, sounds leathery. My wife is a mid to late silverface. :banana

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Werl, the nice thing about a 412 slant quad is that you can hear yourself, as the upper shelf of speakers are pointed at your ears, not your ankles.
    Plus it's the right height to sit your head on, so you don't have to bend over to adjust knobs.
    They also typically come with good castors, which for some reason most 212's don't.
    But best of all, they look cool, and all those speakers pump out a nice warm thump that sounds good at low volumes as well as high.

15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Until you start playing stadiums or large arenas, stacks are for show only imo. I will never forget seeing Ywngie when he was on tour with G3 in 2003. A wall of Marshall stacks, only one red light on though. :NUTS

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

You have to be kidding me? You haven't seen a single stack used on a large venue in 20 years? wow...

17. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

From the mid 80s to mid 90s, I played in a band using a Mesa Boogie 50 caliber head and 2 Marshall (A&B) cabs. The other guitarist had 2 Marshall B cabs and a Mesa Boogie SOB head, the bass player had an Ampeg SVT w/ the 8x10 cab. Nothing was for show, all cabs were always plugged in. The difference is back in those days, there were a lot of bigger rooms ("rock clubs") that were set up to accomodate louder music. They had large house PA systems, nice stages, lighting, etc. Given this, you could get away w/ using your full stack no problem. Fast forward to today; all of those great clubs are gone. Nowadays, the bar owner pulls a table off of the floor and that's your stage! Forget the killer house PA and production too. Now I gig w/ a 1x12 combo and barely ever have the master past 1. Man I miss those days!!

18. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

A 4X12 just looks and sounds cool, even with a 20 watter on top.

19. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

I wanted to get one of those Marshall 1966a cabs. It looks like a 4x12 cab from a distance, same shape, but it's really a smaller 2x12 cab. The look without all the weight and bulk. What I still HATE and cannot understand is why if I want an amp with all the features, you HAVE to buy the big 100 watt head. No amp company will make a small, lightweight 1x12 or 1x10 low powered combo amp that is high gain and has all the features of the 100 watt head model. I'd like a small combo version of that 5150 III amps brown/crunch channel but the only model they make is a $2,000 100 watt 3 channel head. How many people really need that?

20. lutelover

lutelover Member

The really sad thing, to my way of thinking, is that, as 18969 alludes to above, the opportunities for performing live music in a band are but a shadow of what they used to be. It's a real loss: learning something from records is one thing, but learning one's art "hitting the boards" is quite another thing.

This summer I'm teaching a Popular Music in America class that covers pop and rock music from the beginning of the 20th century, and most every decision made by those who could do otherwise has served to kill off lives venues to perform in.

Not only has the American public become "bystanders" when it comes to making music, but -- again, speaking in very broad terms -- they have elected to abandon "live music" in favor of listening to inferior quality mp3 recordings through headphones. I'm not even convinced the majority of people are listening anymore, considering the "dribble" that passes as (a lot of) music today.

Sure, something has been gained, I suppose. But, compared to what has been lost, it's hard to see these trends as anything but a substitute for the real thing. No wonder music is treated so much as a "commodity" these days instead of "a happening."

My two cents.

dt