Are there some vintage Solid State amps that have mojo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axdxm, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Cool. Heavy? Home amp only or enough for live use?

2. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I used to use a Traynor TS-200, a big transistor head made in the eighties. 200W, I used it with a 4/12, and plugged straight into the amp overdriving the pre-amp. It sounded great, nobody noticed it wasn't tubes.

3. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

The Pignose may have the most mojo of all, good call.

guff likes this.
  4. guff

guff Member

I came here to like every Sunn & Acoustic post and mention Pignose (already mentioned) plus its lesser known kit competitor; the Paia Pygmy 1750. Superior enclosure design for open or closed back use with a full-range ceramic Utah 4" driver. Sounds much better than a battery powered amp should.

Sustinēre and Badtone like this.
  5. JipThePeople

JipThePeople Member

The criminally underrated Ty Tabor and King's X! Most underrated rock band of all time!

Badtone and Al Rose like this.
  6. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Evans amps work great using pedals through them in the +6db input with solidbody guitars (with reasonable pre-amp input volume setting to prevent overdriving the amp). They're designed to be great clean amps for any application though most people think of them as jazz & steel amps.

7. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Rivera has stated that he had nothing to do with the Rivera era SS Fenders.

jnovac1 likes this.
  8. Airoz

Airoz Member

Just bought a new Jazz Chorus 40 and damn, it’s one gorgeous sounding amp, its loud as whatever you would need and it sounds perfect in low volume situations too, I’d much rather have this amp for apartment practice than a twin on 0.5 on the volume dial.

Other than the cleans (incredible sparkle) and the vibrato and chorus (so thick) it’s great with Dirt pedals, it surely brings out what’s characteristic out of everything in the chain, including your pick attack

Will report back after I’ve gigged it

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Al Rose likes this.
  9. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Ricky TransSonic... wacky, giant wedge-shaped units. No, they don't sound good, but they definitely have mojo, though I'm not sure it's "good" mojo, though.

10. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I had a 70something Sunn Concert Lead that could pass for a tube amp, you would never know it in a blind test, great amp. Every bassist that has played on my '75 Acoustic 220/408 stack loves that thing, it sounds awesome.

chromeskull likes this.
  11. 83stratman

My '82? Fender Harvard Reverb II, my '86 Marshall Lead 20 and any '90s Peavey Aqua Stripe series says your wrong and that your blanket statements are ignorant.

MIM#1 and strat68 like this.
  12. 83stratman

St Louis Music era? I don't know Ampeg history so well. Is there a Crate counterpart to this amp?

Thumpalumpacus and strat68 like this.
  13. strat68

strat68 Member

This. I have been collecting these, including the one described above.
    I prefer the ii series though, a bit more fendery and the channel switching is useful as long as you don't overdo the gain. I would use the lead channel with gain on low as rhythm setup slightly broken up. Then kick on a pedal for lead and if I need more, the clean channel at a higher volume serves as a boost.

The reverb is also much better on the G50-112ii than the former which sounds more brash, but not terrible.

They can be had fairly cheap, like $50 to 100 if you are patient.

Another tip, if you are missing knobs, knock off Marshall silver knobs look great on these and can be had $10/dozen on the auction site.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    MIM#1 and Rusty Cadillac like this.
  14. amptex

amptex Vendor

The Series II Yamaha G-Series (with the parametric eq section) are some of my favorite amps ever, solid state or otherwise.

MIM#1, strat68 and Rusty Cadillac like this.
  15. strat68

strat68 Member

16. strat68

strat68 Member

Is that 80s? Along those lines the 80s GK amps that had the two speakers in it, with open to use as a head were cool.

17. strat68

strat68 Member

Pearl as in drums? Can you elaborate more on these, what year? Look fendery.

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

GIGO, brotha.

I've got an old Bandit (81, maybe 82) that does the in-between pretty damned good. It's very responsive for a SS amp. Took a little dialing in (and I'm still not done with that, don't get me wrong), but it does the job. And I'm loyal to tubes, mostly.

I don't mind playing gear older than me, but don't have the opportunity often, because it means pre-Norlin and pre-CBS.

19. Northerner

Northerner Member

I played in a band with a Very good player back in the ‘70s who used a GMT like Carlos played at Woodstock.
    He sounded amazing with it.
    I got a Deluxe Reverb then a Vibrolux Reverb from Valley Arts,
    both Stage 3 mods by Paul Rivera who was the amp tech there at the time to try and keep up.
    It wasn’t until I got my 1st Boogie that I managed.

20. iguy

iguy Member

I gigged with a Gallien Krueger 212G for years back in the late 70's and early 80's. The premise of this amp was that tone of the amp was mainly due to output transformers. So, it was a solid state amp with huge OTs. Not being heavy enough, i replaced the stock GK with EVs. Weighed a ton, but it sounded really good (to my ears). They are rather hard to find (i wish i still had mine for nostalgia sake), but if you can find one, they usually run $100 -> $150. The cleans were fantastic and the overdrive was quite good.

I still have my old orange Cube 60. The OD is terrible, but the cleans are fantastic.

MIM#1 likes this.