Are there some vintage Solid State amps that have mojo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axdxm, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Strato62

Strato62 Member

will echo others here about the Lab Series L-5 and the Yamaha G100 and G50 with the silver knobs - awesome amps that gave me years of service.

2. White Limo

White Limo Member

Please do, I'm curious about those. The guys from That Pedal Show used a JC-40 recently and put some dirt pedals with it and their comment was they'd rather use it than a HRDx -- they seemed pretty blown away.

3. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

4. Aydan

Aydan Member

Yeah dude, it was all the MG100HDFX! No boost pedals, no overdrive pedals, no distortion pedals nothing! 100% pure Marshall MG...
    and to think people still crap on those amps...... I'm not saying they're the greatest but for rock music? I think they're fantastic!

White Limo likes this.
  5. Telfer

Telfer Member

I have three of the amps often mentioned here.

1. Fender Princeton Chorus...Best amp I have for clean tones. The drive channel is useless and the reverb tank is too short. I keep the chorus turned on at all times to max depth and minimum rate.

2. Peavey Bandit 65...Best feature is the ground loop switch. Clean tones are very neutral un-coloured, and the drive sounds like a fuzz pedal. Good amp for Country players or Jazz.

3. Marshall Lead 12...It does only one thing well in that it sounds like a Marshall without the low end. Aside from that glowing virtue its way too noisy even at low volume.

6. mumbleswitch

mumbleswitch Supporting Member

I have a 1984 Marshall Lead 20 and its oozing with Mojo. It is like the little brother of the JCM800 series that is often overlooked because its solid state. I've never heard a transistor amp sound so tube like, and the Celestion G10L-35 is undeniably one of the best 10" speakers.

wntbtw, Juanchi and Telfer like this.
  7. Telfer

Telfer Member

Have you ever had to replace or mod anything on your amp? I'm surprised the 20 watt version doesn't have a 12" speaker.

8. mumbleswitch

mumbleswitch Supporting Member

Everything is 100% stock on mine. I've cleaned all the pots with some DeOxit, but other than that its stock. Something about the 10" speaker just works with this small amp. I've run it through a 12" cab, and actually prefer the 10". And it probably weighs less than 20lbs, so a dream to carry.

Telfer likes this.
  9. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

Just one more vote for the Marshall 5210. I've had mine almost 20 years and after just recently cleaning the pots, it's still working like new.

mumbleswitch, Juanchi and naveed211 like this.
  11. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Came here to mention the same. Love that amp. Very warm sounding.

I also like the Vox Pathfinder 15R, and most of the silver panel Peaveys are solid. And the Fender Stage 100 and Princeton 65. Just tried a Kustom from the 70s that was very warm sounding, too.

12. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Pure SS:
    Lab L5
    Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus
    Galien Kruger GK-250ML

Hybrids too:
    Music Man HD 50 and 100
    Legend

I've used all the above at one time or another. The standout was the JC120, driving two cabinets in glorious chorus. Amazing cleans, great edge when pushed with a volume pedal, and an incredible pedal platform.

The Sleeper:
    Randall RG80 combo

About the cheapest amp a person could buy. Pawn shops would be hard pressed to get $75 for them despite the celestion speaker.

Pushed with a Tube Screamer driving a Rat it morphed into a monster wall of sound. Who would have guessed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I have one of these as well. Great head with a versatile EQ section and TONS of volume.

keefsdad likes this.
  14. Juanchi

Juanchi Member

I use a Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET as my main amp. Best SS of all time.

wntbtw likes this.
  15. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

I used to have a Canadian amp back in the late 70s called VT, VT40? it had a built-in phasor, It was instant Robin Trower it was pretty cool and I still get compliments on the sounds I got from people who knew me play that amp, a 4x12 with greenbacks didn’t hurt, I’d like to find one again today but there are either high-priced are nonexistent

16. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Peavey Bandit 65, 1st real amp and my son still plays out with it.

Fender 2150 power amp, guitar or bass.

Fender Roc Pro 1000 head, similar cleans to Twin.

Roland Cube 30, original, great cleans for pedals.

YMMV

17. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Member

Legend Rock-N-Roll 50w or 100w

I had a 50w head... they’re incredibly loud..

Rev Willie used a 50w combo for the Eliminator album.

18. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

Marshall MOSFET Leads are ****ing excellent. Peavey made some very nice solid state amps back in the day - built like brick shithouses. JC120 deserves its usual shoutout, those things are fantastic and built to last (speakers are kind of... not great... for distorted tones though). Ampeg VH140C/Crate GX130C (same amp, both Crate and Ampeg were owned by Loud at that time) has very nice JC120 like cleans and absolutely ripping distortion tone. I doubt many of you listen to 90s death metal much, but a lot of that is a VH140, and it's crushing.

vicdeluca71 likes this.
  19. teemuk

teemuk Member

The Crate GX series doesn't get much aporeciation although nearly all of the higher power models were similar to VH-140C. ;-)

vicdeluca71 likes this.