Are there some vintage Solid State amps that have mojo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axdxm, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

Yes, PEARL as in drums. Made in Japan, mid 70's to mid 80's? They copied fender twins and blackface bassmans using transistors and I have a Pearl 'princeton' look alike, but its a loud 80 watts. Anybody who has no problem gigging with a JC-120 would like these. They are similar in pristine,loud clean tone but with a more black-facey eq and no bells or whistles like chorus. They only do one thing well, LOUD and CLEAN! Reverb is poor, some models like my Duo Reverb [princeton look-alike] and 'sunflower' [Twin] have a nice tremolo. They must have sold ALOT of these to Germany cause you can always find several used on any given day. The build is quite nice with chassis mounted,flying lead pots, thick circuit boards and beefy transformers. I still use my Yamaha G100II over the pearls for its killer spring reverb. But unfortunately, my Yamaha started blowing fuses so unless I get it repaired FAST its gonna be the Pearl at the next festival gig. Heres a couple gut shots of the Pearls: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    yfeefy likes this.
  2. Strato62

Strato62 Member

will echo others here about the Lab Series L-5 and the Yamaha G100 and G50 with the silver knobs - awesome amps that gave me years of service.

3. White Limo

White Limo Member

Sounded f*in good to me man. Was that the dirt from the MG?

Aydan likes this.
  4. White Limo

White Limo Member

Please do, I'm curious about those. The guys from That Pedal Show used a JC-40 recently and put some dirt pedals with it and their comment was they'd rather use it than a HRDx -- they seemed pretty blown away.

Airoz likes this.
  5. jdogric12

jdogric12 Member

6. Aydan

Aydan Member

Yeah dude, it was all the MG100HDFX! No boost pedals, no overdrive pedals, no distortion pedals nothing! 100% pure Marshall MG...
    and to think people still crap on those amps...... I'm not saying they're the greatest but for rock music? I think they're fantastic!

White Limo likes this.
  7. Telfer

Telfer Member

I have three of the amps often mentioned here.

1. Fender Princeton Chorus...Best amp I have for clean tones. The drive channel is useless and the reverb tank is too short. I keep the chorus turned on at all times to max depth and minimum rate.

2. Peavey Bandit 65...Best feature is the ground loop switch. Clean tones are very neutral un-coloured, and the drive sounds like a fuzz pedal. Good amp for Country players or Jazz.

3. Marshall Lead 12...It does only one thing well in that it sounds like a Marshall without the low end. Aside from that glowing virtue its way too noisy even at low volume.

8. mumbleswitch

mumbleswitch Supporting Member

I have a 1984 Marshall Lead 20 and its oozing with Mojo. It is like the little brother of the JCM800 series that is often overlooked because its solid state. I've never heard a transistor amp sound so tube like, and the Celestion G10L-35 is undeniably one of the best 10" speakers.

Telfer likes this.
  9. Telfer

Telfer Member

Have you ever had to replace or mod anything on your amp? I'm surprised the 20 watt version doesn't have a 12" speaker.

10. mumbleswitch

mumbleswitch Supporting Member

Everything is 100% stock on mine. I've cleaned all the pots with some DeOxit, but other than that its stock. Something about the 10" speaker just works with this small amp. I've run it through a 12" cab, and actually prefer the 10". And it probably weighs less than 20lbs, so a dream to carry.

Telfer likes this.
  11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

Just one more vote for the Marshall 5210. I've had mine almost 20 years and after just recently cleaning the pots, it's still working like new.

naveed211 likes this.
  13. naveed211

naveed211 Supporting Member

Came here to mention the same. Love that amp. Very warm sounding.

I also like the Vox Pathfinder 15R, and most of the silver panel Peaveys are solid. And the Fender Stage 100 and Princeton 65. Just tried a Kustom from the 70s that was very warm sounding, too.

14. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

Pure SS:
    Lab L5
    Roland JC120 Jazz Chorus
    Galien Kruger GK-250ML

Hybrids too:
    Music Man HD 50 and 100
    Legend

I've used all the above at one time or another. The standout was the JC120, driving two cabinets in glorious chorus. Amazing cleans, great edge when pushed with a volume pedal, and an incredible pedal platform.

The Sleeper:
    Randall RG80 combo

About the cheapest amp a person could buy. Pawn shops would be hard pressed to get $75 for them despite the celestion speaker.

Pushed with a Tube Screamer driving a Rat it morphed into a monster wall of sound. Who would have guessed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:54 PM
  15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I have one of these as well. Great head with a versatile EQ section and TONS of volume.

keefsdad likes this.