Are these any different or any better than Sovtek EL84Ms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Dec 6, 2013.

1. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

2. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

I think better!! those are great EL84's.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

WAY better! I've got a quad of those in an AC30 (65) that have sounded great for 2 years in church.

4. Promit

Promit Member

Other TGP posts seem to suggest that they're exactly the same as the EL84Ms.

5. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

It's the reverb driver required for the original Vibro King with EL84M. A normal EL84 will red plate and might blow the reverb transformer.

6. crunchman

crunchman Member

These are very popular over at 18 watt.com, everyone loves them.I had them in an 18 watt, they sounded great.Seems they are less bright than typical el-84's warmer which is usually a good thing with these type amps.Apparently these ate much better quality almost mil-spec stuff.

7. ugameus

ugameus Member

I use them. Good tubes.

8. PhilosoPhrets

PhilosoPhrets Member

I use them as well. I buy them from eBayers in the Ukraine mostly. They seem to last a very long time with excellent sound. BTW, I have never bought "matched" pairs. I just buy them from the same lot. I guess the tolerances on these from the 80's were tighter than nowadays. Seems they are matched closely enough for rock and roll within the same lots? I use them in a MAZ 18. ymmv

These may become the new "hard-to-find" el84 in the future. They are good tubes at good prices, imo. May be a good time to stock up.

9. chervokas

chervokas Member

Same basic tube type, what we transliterate from the Cyrillic as the 6p14p-EV, the EV version of the tube is the one sold with the "M" designation under the Sovtek brand. EV's are supposed to have been built to tighter tolerances that the regular 6p14p's, and able to handle higher plate voltages and dissipate more heat. These, I guess are older production, but the Sovtek EL84M is a 6p14p-EV, like these tubes.

10. telewacker

I just got a Peavey Classic 50-50 power amp that uses 8-EL84s. Normally I use good NOS or ANOS Siemens, Mullards, Sylvanias, etc., but normally I'm buying 2 or 4 tubes not 8! I'd like something better than new production tubes. So far most people are suggesting these are sonically better than stock Sovteks. How do they stack up to the more high end tubes I mentioned?

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Are the Sovtek EL84Ms (modern production) made the exact same way these were? Because my understanding is that some of the manufacturing techniques of the older tubes are no longer available, even in the Soviet Union (due to toxic chemicals being used)? Or does the EL84M just share the same part number (like a modern TungSol 12AX7 bears no real resemblance to a vintage one)?

12. Promit

Promit Member

Let me put it this way... Last I heard, the majority of the new production Soviet/Russia tubes are being made on the same tooling as the coveted vintage glass. Nobody's about to mistake the new ones for the old ones though.

13. telewacker

In what way?

14. chervokas

chervokas Member

That I don't know -- what the differences in manufacturing techniques, materials and qualities are between Russian tubes of 30 years ago and today. Maybe someone here is versed in Russian tube production -- what's the difference between a 6p14p-EV of 30 years ago vs. today? Or 6p14p-EVs from different factories then and now.

15. telewacker

As a working musician I'm concerned with two things...how do these tubes sound and how durable are they?

I'm still hoping someone can chime in with a comparison of these tubes to modern production EL84s as well as premium NOS tubes.

16. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, any tube can fail early, you'd need to ask someone with experience with thousands of each of these types tubes to get a real sense of overall durability -- maybe one of the dealers has an opinion.

I haven't used any older production 6p14p-EVs. I've had recent Sovtek EL84Ms start redplating on me very early in life, but like I said, any one tube could be a bad one so a couple of tubes isn't a great sample. I'm not sure if the older production are any better. (I do love the tone of 6p14p-EVs -- to me bigger, tighter, cleaner, clearer, more dynamic, more extended on top and bottom than a typical EL84's and non EV 6p14p's.)

Chances are older NOS US and European tubes, tested by reliable dealers, are going to be more durable and longer-lived than any new production tube, but many EL84 guitar amps run the tubes at the very edge of safety in terms of the tubes' ability to dissipate heat so any EL84 is likely to die younger than it might under such conditions.

17. telewacker

Word is these old Reflektors are very durable, but I'm still primarily concerned with tone. I can get 8 NOS Telams for $360 and 8 Reflektors for half of that.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

Tonal opinions vary. Yours is the only one that matters. Try some! :)

19. telewacker

Tru dat, but before I part with hard earned cash money I hope to make an informed choice. Reviews are helpful.

20. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

If you get a meaningful number of reviews, they'll span the whole range. Just sayin'. I'm not new to the concept of tonal opinions. ;)