Are these late '60s Les Paul Customs truly worth it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MBreinin, Jul 27, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I am just curious. I see these are pulling serious money and I was wondering if these really have the mojo, or if people are just desperate for a Les Paul close in age to the golden era and are driving up the price? I have seen this phenomenon with Strats, with late '60s, early '70s stuff now pulling ten grand and beyond. I am probably going to be looking for some old wood again soon, and my eye has turned to these LPs since I need a good Paul. I had an early '70s Deluxe that was mojo'd out and modded with a bridge full hum and, for me, it was not what I had hoped. I loved the way it played, but could never get the tone I wanted from it. It was a very bright guitar, depsite multiple PU changes.

So, can anyone shed light?

Mike

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Blue book 10th anversary issue, 2006

the 68 LP custom very good, no price for excellent $7000
    the 69 LP custome very good no price for excellent $6000

LP custom from 70 to 75 very good listed at $2500
    LP custom 76 to 2003 very good is $1900, excellent is $2,150

it that the light you were looking for

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I had an excellent sounding 69 Custom. A bit heavy, but a nice, big neck, and all the tones were great. I also think that the early 70's Customs are great sounding, pancake body and all, but a 68/9 will tend to be better sounding, IMO.
    I prefer any of the above to most of the new LP's I've played, Custom shop or not, even though some of the Norlin necks are tres dorky.

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I would not buy one at current market prices, but to each his own...

5. 59refin

59refin Member

Do people really still think Gibson used "left over" bodies from the '50's on the late '60's LP's? That's about the only thing that could explain the prices for those.

6. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

"People" will believe anything BUT what is true or logical. :jo

7. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

if you´re a collector these are probably interesting due to their limited number and lot´s of spec changes within those years. it was the turn-over period for gibson. they also may be interesting from a simple investment point of view.
    if you´re a player imo, vintage (esp. gibson / fender) pricing has nothing to do with good tone or a quality instrument. so to me these are definately not worth it. i just don´t believe the "old wood is always better" hype! look into the ´68 custom reissues, these are great guitars (i had 2 of them) that can be had for a little over 2k. they don´t have the mojo of an old worn guitar, but are a great sounding quality instrument for a fair price.
    heck, if money is not an issue, get an original 68-69, just for the mojo, but don´t be surprised if the original won´t sound like a million bucks compared to a new one.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I guess they're worth it if you have the money and you have a sentimentality for that era of guitars. Personally I don't know why today's guitars can't play or sound as good as yesterdays.

9. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

A few years ago a friend of mine got himself a new Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul. It was like a 1958 Les Paul sunburst reissue but was cherry. I had played a few Les Pauls before playing that one. But none felt or sounded as nice as that one. I knew then that if I ever got myself a Les Paul I would have to like it as much as I liked my friend's cherry red Les Paul. I finally found my own Les Paul that I like as much as I liked my friend's. I finally bought it this year. It is a 1974 goldtop Les Paul Deluxe. If I found a Les Paul Custom from that era I would probably buy it. Though I am not so sure that I would play it as much as my Deluxe.

10. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

What's to say that a guitar built today, in 20/30 years wont sound even better than yesterdays guitars do at this time though?

Not to derail the thread and back to the OP - the early 70's and late 60's LPs are still great guitars IMO. I've owned a 70 and a 72 LP Deluxe, both were excellent instruments, and both cost me less than a new Custom Shop LP (two years ago) - so i was glad to drop the cash on some old wood.

I really think there are plenty that do have mojo - but as is usual for the late 60's and 70's there are plenty of dogs out there that you'll need to pick through before you hit one with serious mojo. IMO the prices for late 60's guitars are getting a bit too high, 70's still seem to be staying a bit more sensible, and i definately think it's worth paying a bit less for a 70/71 over a '69.

All vintage guitar prices are starting to reach ridiculous levels now - i'm even seeing 80's guitars listed as 'vintage' - which just seems ludicrous to me!

11. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I ve had two 68 Gold Top with Brazilian boards out of probly 10 or 12 over the years and they were pretty damn close to my original 56 in every specs. This left overs theory may not be complete bollocks but even if it's true, it would be a very small portion of the total 68 let alone 69 batch. True or not, I really don t take it as a serious criteria to buy one.
    I really like the 68's with one piece neck and body in general, customs or GT . They feel, play and sound pretty close to a good 60 LP. The necks are more of a small 50's profile tho, not a super flat 60 / 61 neck. Most are medium weight, I never seen a very heavy 68 one piece neck and body yet unlike some 69's and 70's.
    69's are still cool but I m not a huge fan of the 3 piece neck and pancake body. They re very close to a good 70 to 73 Les Paul.
    68's pretty much doubled up since 06, clean ones 100% with a dot on the i fetch 15k+ even with a slow market. I m pretty convinced they are a good "sensible" investment for a fraction of the price of a 1960 custom. They re great players as well and it's always somehow easier to take a 10 to 20k guitar to a gig than risking a 100k guitar to get a broken headstock :D Even tho you can find a really cool early 70's LP, I doubt they will ever catch up with 68's in value mainly because of the 68's rarity.
    here's one of em :
    [​IMG]

12. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

vintage-tone... beautiful guitar that is... :AOK

13. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

I would not put $10K in one guitar, I have a hard enough time with $5K. If I A/B'd a 60's vintage against a modern say VOS Les Paul and could hear a reason to spend another $7,000 I suppose I would consider buying the vintage but really :crazy. Just buy 3 or 4 VOS's. I'd rather have a Gold Top, a Black Beauty, a 59 RI Cherry Sunburst and a 58 RI than one vintage 60's that I couldn't take out of the house.

But that's just me :messedup

14. retrobob

retrobob Member

I sold my 69 Custom last year. It was a great guitar, but I have 2 historics which played and sounded better than my 69er. So I cashed it in.

[​IMG]

15. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a problem paying vintage $$$ if the tone and feel are there. But in my experience, the late 60's Customs are overrated; nothing that special about the ones I've tried.

Obviously as a pure investment vehicle they've done okay and will probably continue to track the market; but that isn't why I buy vintage.

/rick

16. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

I agree Rick.
    You may have tried some pancake body or / and 3 piece necks. They're still cool but kind of lost the feel of the early 68's.
    Yet again, I ve played a lot of original 50's custom and some were just another Les Paul. Same with Bursts. Nothing is worth 400k + of sound, to a lower degree it's the same with any Les Paul or vintage guitar vs a good reissue.

17. MBreinin

Not really looking for it as an investment, I would prefer to find a player with issues that sounds really good and get a deal than have a 100% perfect dog that stays in the case. I play all of my guitars and if they don't get played, they get sold.

I appreciate all of the opinions. I also know that with old guitars, you never, never, never know if they are going to have "it". I have gotten lucky with the majority of my old guitar purchases with only a couple not panning out for me.

On that note, what do you'all think are good values in old wood? I think Gretsches are still a great value as well as some SGs.

Mike

18. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

i think sg prices went up quite a bit as well within the last years.
    if you can get used to a somewhat odd "gibsonish" look you may like guilds.
    the starfire/bluesbird/s- series are pretty cool guitars and supposed to sound good as well. i actually never played one, but am interested in them for a while so i would be looking into these for a vintage bargain...

19. MBreinin

Any more input on the vintage LPCs?

Mike

20. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

There is not a guitar made at any time, anywhere in the world, that's worth more than a grand to me.

These prices are lunatic. Someone will pay it, no doubt, but it won't be me.