Are these pickups epoxy potted?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dk_ace, Aug 15, 2006.

1. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

I was going to have my '72 tele thinline RI pups rewound. I asked the guy I was going to have do it if it was possible to rewind them. He said he hadn't done it before, but there was no reason he couldn't do it as long as they weren't epoxy potted. How do I know if they are epoxy potted? I was going to buy a new pick gaurd and standard pups, but I can't afford all that at this time. A rewind seems to be the best solution for me right now, but I need to know if it is even possible with these pups.

Thanks,
    D

PS For those not familiar with that tele, the pups are the Fender Wide-Range humbuckers (the ones that are larger than standard HB's)

2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

To my knowledge nobody ever potted pickups with epoxy back then. Travis Bean pickups were reportedly Fender humbuckings and squished in the cover with a bunch of silicone. My TB guitar squealed like a stuck pig so that didn't help at all. An interesting aside, Ampeg fliptop amps have normal tranformers that are potted in silicone inside those Robbie The Robot transformer housings.
    the most we did in the early seventies was dip our pickups in hot wax to stop the squealing.

3. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

These are the re-issue pups. They were made very recently (Around 2000 I believe).

D

4. LHakim

LHakim Member

The prototype Bean's used Fender 'buckers, the rest used proprietary pups made by or for Travis. They were epoxy potted (and very poorly too--hence the microphonics). According to a former TB employee who used to post at the old Bean website, the company "perfected" the potting process so the last run of guitars are relatively free of the squeelies.

5. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Are you saying the recent re-issue wide range buckers are epoxy potted, or the originals are epoxy potted?

6. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

neither are.

they're wax potted.

7. ungarn

ungarn Member

If you can remove some of the potting material with a fingernail it is wax and certainly not epoxy.

Good luck!

-Thad