Are these the "desired" RCA 6V6GTs?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tedjac, Feb 25, 2006.

1. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Just curious... assuming they test well... are these THE RCA greyglass blackplates that everyone says are pretty much the best? Does the 3-43 mean they were made in 1943? Assuming they tested close to new, what would they be worth... approximately?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any info...

Ted

2. brad347

brad347 Member

those are the good ones! Not sure about price these days. I just laid in a good stock of ANOS tubes just like this for my own "rainy day." I got a box of about 30 of them mixed with some other 6V6s for $120. :)

I think that's usually about what one NOS pair goes for (if not a little under)

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

Your assumption on the date code is correct... however the date on the box is 9/60. Someone is playing a little dirty IMO. The box for a '43 RCA would be blue.

4. tedjac

tedjac Guest

What about if they aren't NOS but just test used near new? If they really are from 1943... is there a point when tubes are just too old?

5. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I don't think tubes go bad with age, only with use. I am sure there are exceptions, like how they were stored. The other thing I can think of relating to value would be how close they are to "matching" each other. A matched quad would be worth more than 2 matching pairs, which would be worth more than four "individual" non-matching tubes.....
    BZT

6. brad347

brad347 Member

bozo tone is right. Plus, "NOS" will always get much more. It's not always justified with utility... sometimes a good set of "pulls" can be had for cheap and you get just as much use out of them and the sound just as good.

Not sure what a set of used greyglass 6V6s are going for...

7. Damon

Damon Member

43rd week of 1953.

IMO the most desireable RCA 6V6GTs have a totally opaque -not translucent- grey coating inside the glass, were made during the war, and would also be labeled VT-107-A.

However, the ones in the picture would be correct or closer to correct for the fender and Gibson tweeds of the 50's, so the market overall might find them more desirable.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I believe Damon is correct on the date code here as a '40's 6V6,I believe, would be coke bottle shaped.

9. tedjac

tedjac Guest

That makes sense... but I have a coupe of these and the date code dosen't have a hyphen, just three numbers like... 126. This is sure the 26th week of 1951. The tube in the picture is 3-43... so I wasn't sure how to read that. I do agree that 1943 tubes would almost surely be coke bottle design.

I just wish there was someway to test them. I don't have a tester. Do any of you guys with testers offer cheap testing services? I mean, they LOOK like they're in good shape... but I know that doesn't mean much without test numbers to back it up. I also don't know for sure if they are used or NOS...

10. brad347

brad347 Member

i have a bunch of tubes like this and some say things like 3-21 and 4-19

I'm pretty sure they weren't made in 1921 and 1919!

11. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Good point... so were virtually certain that the date codes read the same way regardless of the hyphen... good to know.

12. brad347

brad347 Member

somewhere someone should create a database of when all of the different design features of the tubes emerged/changed.

But perhaps that's just a bit too dorky even for extreme tube fetishists :D

13. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Is that what this tube thing is becoming... a FETISH! Who would have ever thought...?:NUTS

14. brad347

brad347 Member

just get ready. With prices for a single 12AX7 of certain makes over $100 already and NOS supplies dwindling, more and more people will begin to think of quality tubes as they do expensive wine and western art music!