Are these Vintage 30's UK or Chinese?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AndyZ, Jan 10, 2006.

1. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Not that it really matters, but it's nice to know. I just recently picked up a custom made Tweed 4x12 made of birch I believe. Very heavy wood!

It has 4 Vintage 30's in it. The date codes on the speaker frame per the Celestion site say March 30, 1999.

Anyone know what the origin may be of these? UK or China? I don't really know when they started mfg'ing in China.

Thanks in advance!

2. retrobob

retrobob Member

If they are made in England it will say so on the frame or lable.

3. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

They have the address in England, but not Made In. I didn't know how far back they started making them in England. Hard to tell from looking at them

4. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

Hey Andy,
    I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they are UK.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

If they dont say MADE in England they is Made in China. Theyve been doing this for a while. A good while. Sounds to me like the ones you have are made in China. Though I think the quality is as good. That is subject to Opinion though.

6. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I wouldn't have figured they'd be making them there 6-7 years ago, but I guess so. I got the cab for $250, which is what the speakers alone are worth. Can't really go wrong with it. I may actually put in 2 G12H-30 or Scumbag equivalents for some wider tone spectrum.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Its my understanding they have been doing this for quite some time and before that they were doing it all in China they were mixing and matching Chineese parts and British parts.

There are some folks out there who say quality is better than ever for Celestion. I know I did have two Chineese Made V30's go bad that were Brand New. Two of em (one at a time) in a Bogner 2x12 with a TSL 100 on 25 watts. They fixed them under warranty. I was a little discouraged about them at the time so the next go around I bought a Mojo V30 (for my 30 watt Tweed Amp) and after two months it went bad and they wouldnt warranty it. So then I bought a China Made Greenback for it and it was under rated for that amp but never went bad. Oddly enuff looking at the Greenback and the Mojo the Construction of the Greenback Looks much better. Though I now have an Eminence Wizard in it and am liking it.

Maby Rick will chime in. My concern is that before its over with everything will be manufatured in 3rd world nations and we all will be working at Walmart. This isnt politics BTW I'm talking Economics.

8. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Interesting Red. Thanks for the info!

9. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

At the ned of the day, who cares where they were made, as long as YOU like the tone?

10. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I agree Teleplayer. I was just curious as to their origin.

11. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I don't always chime in on these threads because you tend to get a lot of crossfire from "know it alls" who don't always "know it all" and then ultimately cause doubt in my statement (which is fact). That said, here I go.........the English speakers will say "Made In England". If they don't, they probably were not. If you send pic's, I can help more. Regarding sound, they sound great. I'd would suggest a blind listening test (about 99% of the people, including tone snobs, fail the test). In many cases, the same machines are used now as when built in the UK because we literally moved them from our UK factory to our Chinese factory. Many of the source materials are the same as well, some have changed. The bottom line is that our speakers have had to pass the test from many of our largest customers before any move was ever made. They would be the first to throw them back if the quality or tone was compromised. I hope this helps. Rick

12. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Thanks Rick! Again I'm not doubting anything tonality wise. I was just curious. It's not even that important to tell the truth. I just needed a heavy duty 4x12 cab at my recording studio with Vintage 30's. The price was right on this guy and it sounded good and it was wired up already for some fancy output options.

13. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

No problemo. if you decide you would like to know for sure, send the pix and any numbers on them and I can tell you. Enjoy!

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I would agree. I certainly cant tell the difference between the sound of the UK and Cineese ones. I'm glad that Rick is around here to set us straight on these matters. To me it helps to have a bonified Representative of the company around these parts. Celestions are definately my Cup of Tea.

Rick arent you a celebrity now? Didnt I see you in thie latest issue of Tone Quest?

:BEER

15. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Rick, I don't have any pics, but if these frame codes help, then cool! Might be awhile before I take the back off again. Probably if I swap out 2 for some G12H30's.

All 4 speakers have the same code on the frame... 30JC13904/18

One of the cones on back seciton I noticed had 444 on it, if that means anything.

The labels say this: Celestion International Ltd, Foxhall Rd., Ipswitch, Suffolk England

Thanks!