Are tourboxes undermining sales?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mc2, Feb 2, 2012.

1. mc2

mc2 Member

Thinking about this a bit:

Most here swap effects pretty regularly, not because the pedals are bad, just to try different ones. I question if the tourboxes appease the GAS of potential buyers and, in the end, stifle sales?

Anyone else think this?

2. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I think if you have an amazing Tourbox, no... like Bearfoot for example. They have such a good Tourbox it leaves a lot of people wanting those pedals permanently.

3. rabbit

rabbit Member

Good point. Donner has been doing tourboxes for years now, if I remember correctly, and it must be for a reason. I took part in the Bearfoot Euro Tourbox, I got it in late Nov/early Dec I think and since then I´ve been jonesing for a MGMV (will get one as soon as the damn Euro-Dollar ratio improves).

How many guys take part in a tourbox thingy? Not many really. I don´t see sales of used gear get undermined (it´s just another guy buying the stuff eventually) and as far as dealer/manufacturer sales are concerned I GUESS the number of 'lost' customers might equal the number of new and convinced customers. Those who won´t buy before trying for example.

In the end, I see a chance that there´ll be more happy customers than without tourboxes. Those who are happy they didn´t purchase the item in the first place cause it´s not for them and those who are happy they took part in the tourbox cause they eventually bought smth they wouldn´t have if they didn´t join the tourbox group.

Also, ecologically I find it more appealing that one box of pedals is being shipped across the pond and then distributed on the European continent for instance instead of the same number of people ordering from the US individually and half of them returning stuff cause it´s not for them. It´s just shorter distances as a whole, I guess. I might be wrong though.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

I organized and took part in three tourboxes and have ordered a pedal from each tourbox...

The Okko Fx Coca Comp and a Model H are still with me...I sold my Telenordia treble boost because I just wasn't using it...

If anything they promote sales...I would never have bought those pedals otherwise...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Guys who are flippers usually buy used anyways...

6. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

please excuse my ignorance, but what is a tourbox?

7. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

:agree

8. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

A group of pedals by one manufacturer that are sent from one user to the next so that they can sample a variety of pedals without buying.

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yes I invented the TourboX name and all ten years ago - coming up on the Tenth Anniversary of tourboxing :aok ~ it even predates TGP itself. I am glad that others have taken it up too, as I think it is the best way for someone considering a product to size it up before buying. You get to actually try it with your own rig and compare notes with other people on the exact same pieces of equipment and with no pressure other than to gather your thoughts for others and postage to the next guy. I think it cuts down on used pedals from people that have to buy to try and then flip on disappointment - so in the long run it benefits both producer and consumer and players doing direct comparisons of equipment is close to the heart of any forum about equipment. win - win - win :aok

10. BoiceBox

BoiceBox Member

Yep, I can't see a downside. Where do I sign up? :p

11. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I have yet to participate in a tourbox...yet though I am signed up for a few. I think they are a great idea! I want to try the Bearfoot stuff (got on one of those tourboxes), I also am on one that has several fuzzes that is a Europe and US tourbox. I think both these tourboxes will cause me to buy (at least) one pedal from each company.

12. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I was in on both the fairly recent Mojo Hand and Caroline Guitar Co. tourboxes. If I hadn't already owned a MH Colossus, I'd have bought one, and I did end up buying the Wave Cannon. I don't think a tourbox loses $$$ for any given company unless they're just no good.

13. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

I got on a "tourbox" from someone who was just enamored with a pedal and decided to let people try his backup pedal!

...short story - I loved it and have one in production currently.

14. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

may i ask which one? sounds interesting. and is sign up still open?

15. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

I just played with the NOC3 tourbox and now fully plan on buying a Rock Candy (had no intention before trying it). As already stated, if the builder believes in his/her product, then the end result should benefit everyone involved.

16. JRBain

JRBain Member

Not very many people receive tourboxes though, do they?

Even for the builders whose business is [presumably] noticeably affected by TGP, it can't possibly make a very large difference, and I'd assume it to be positive [after receiving tourbox, buys pedal] before negative.

17. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I think that if the Tourbox is run as well as Seegs is doing with Bearfoot European boxes then you get not just the direct sales from the few taking part but also a lot of reviews and clips with varying rigs that stoke the gas fire for others. The information in a good Tourbox thread is an invaluable resource.

18. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

I think that the tourboxes can only help sales. In my personal experience, I have bought something as the result of every tourbox (which is only 2, I admit, but still...) in which I have participated.

And speaking to the point of an earlier poster who noted that not that many people participate in the tourboxes and, as a result, questioned how many sales they could generate, I'll assert that the word of mouth buzz created by the actual tourboxes and the subsequent reviews of people who participated in them and made purchases generates additional spin-off sales.

19. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

I recently took part in the Australian Bearfoot TB.
    While I had the pedals I took them to two different friend's places for them to try.
    Neither had ever heard of BF or even TGP.
    Both of them ordered a Model H.
    Says it all really.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  20. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

It is starting to sound like tourboxes actually help sales. What hurts sales? Places like the Emporium, as selling a used boutique pedal generally would cut into new sales.