Are tube amplifiers immune to evolution?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bognermatchless, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bognermatchless

bognermatchless Member

I think we all know of many builders out there who build their own take on an "old" version of a classic amp, like a Plexi, JCM 800, Blackface, Tweed, Dumble, etc....

So many amps out there saying they do those sounds and bring back the old, tried and true tone built with the best parts and the same or very similar circuit.

All these classic amplifier designs are at least 20 years old and in most cases older.

Will there ever be a big advancement, a completely fresh concept. A completely unique one that secure its place amongst amp history?

Or have we maxed out, for the most part, the way we can manipulate the amp to sound?

:huh

2. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Member

Form follows function. There are only so many ways to skin a cat. Of course you can add useless doodads to lure in the credulous who confuse variety for goodness, and you can make them as crappy as any solid state amp....the possibilities for fooling the public are endless.

3. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Maybe one day amp makers who make pedals as well (ie Mad Professor, Fuchs, etc) will integrate pedal circuits into amp circuits and have them footswitch controllable. It would be an awful mess of knobs and circuitry (probably two separate chassis') but if I could integrate my entire pedalboard into my amp and control it with a slim midi looper , that would be pretty damn cool.

4. Danktone

Danktone Member

Ibanez already did it with the TSA-15

5. JDutch

JDutch Member

I think this question's really thought provoking. In my opinion, the answer's "no." Although progress takes time and although we probably haven't seen anything completely ground breaking since Dumble/Bruno/Trainwreck, there're a lot of people experimenting, and some of these people over time are likely to develop the next big thing.

As consumers, we have our own part to play, because no new concept is going to catch on and become the next Tweed, Blackface, Marshall, etc., unless we're willing to give it a try and, ultimately, hold it in the same high regard as the classics.

6. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Yeah I know. Its a pretty cool amp too IMO. But if boutique builders did it the quality would be a lot better I think.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

gross. putting more solid state into a tube amp isn't my idea of evolution.

There are plenty of nice modern amps around.

8. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

I say no as well with a big BUT. Some amps are regarded as great not based solely on sound but mostly based on a certain guitar hero that used it. Nothing wrong with that. Some of the greatest amps literally can't be improved on in my humble opinion. Greatest obviously depends on taste. Durability in components and consistency could always be better but then again . . . . Prices could improve but then again . . . . For my style of holy grail amps (mainly huge clean platforms) I just can't think of a way to improve them sadly. I just wish more builders fell into the Ceriatone price range and not the higher ranges.

I do honestly believe though that every now and again in the scope of history, somebody gets something right the first time. Who knows how many times it took them to get there but its just right. If it ain't broke . . . . leave it the hell alone.:rotflmao

9. alberob

alberob Member

Try a Zagray! Amp.For me that is evolution in a tube amp.

10. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Have there been any major advancements in classical music in the past 500 years? Nope, violins still sound like violins, a harp is a harp, etc... Rock, blues, Jazz, Country, will always have guitars, I am afraid we have maxed out the basic sound that fits these genres of music. Just like Hollywood does with movies, artists will just keep covering songs from the past using similar if not the same types of instruments to emulate or pay homage to the original. Unless computers replace musicians entirely which is possible once Skynet becomes self aware...the songs/sounds will remain the same.

11. SteveO

SteveO Member

I think it's the people that create the demand for these amps that are keeping the market the way it is, not the builders.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

that too.

most people look for a certain range of amps.

you'll find a different selection here then at rig-talk for example.

there's a ton of interesting stuff going on.

13. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

the 5e3 ciurcuit should have been on Voyager cause it's probably universal :)

14. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Lots of great advancements in tube technology out there.

* Multi-watt options.
    * Different biasing options.
    * Midi control.
    * Onboard digital effects.
    * Multiple channels.
    * Interchangeable modules.

I can see why some people like some of the amps listed by the OP, but honestly, modern rock isn't played with plexis, tweeds or blackfaces. The JCM800 is still relevant because the newer high gain incarnations.

15. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

16. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

Egnater broke new ground with their Rebel and Tweaker.

17. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

Yup.

18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

heh. It's actually kind of sad that that's what they are probably best known for now...

when in actuality the tol, ie, and mod series were more innovative by far.

19. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I'm about to blow your mind:

http://www.box.com/shared/b2uq26nef0

20. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

A lot of guys who are adamant of tube also aren't huge fans of those features.

IMO, more tube amps should do the "Valvetronix" thing - have a low wattage power section followed by a solids state amp section. Would make the amp lighter(potentially, I know a lot of the coolest SS amps are silly heavy too) and cheaper to get more headroom out of. But again - tube amp guys can be pretty conservative so it's hard to push new tech, and similarly modeler and SS guys will just stick with that and not care about the t00bz.