• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Are tubes that have been used for "a few hours" still "NOS"?

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
What the title says. Not directed at any particular listing, but I've seen this a few times recently. Doesn't the "N" in "NOS" mean "New"? As in, unplayed? As opposed to used?

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Yes they are used, but used like a new car with 200 miles on it. Aren't used ones called ANOS?

teleamp

No, they are old tubes, used for a few hours.

New Old Stock it sat on a shelf, never sold/used. Some old tubes are still New In Box though.

thosk

What the title says. Not directed at any particular listing, but I've seen this a few times recently. Doesn't the "N" in "NOS" mean "New"? As in, unplayed? As opposed to used?
Yes. Except for some on ebay. :boxer

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
go with ANOS and explain.

if you have used them... they are used. The store you bought them from won't help the new owner, and the warranty is likely void... plus, he does not likely know you from Adam... so all bets are are off.

lang.murphy

Well... I think the more appropriate term would be "pulls." I mean, what's a "few" hours? Three? Thirty? Definitely not NOS. And ANOS is a term coined, I think, as a marketing ploy. To me, ANOS could apply to -any- tube that is not NOS. Where does the timer run out on ANOS? Just my two cents on this... not intending to offend anyone or cast aspersions on other points of view...

rockon1

Personally if they were truely NOS before a few hours use I'd say they are better than NOS. They are burned in and havent suffered "infant mortality". Bob

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
I just told my wife that I bought some ANOS tubes. She locked herself in the bedroom and won't come out. :(

Alton

Personally, I find it hard to believe that this is even a question. NOS = New Old Stock. New + Never used. If it has a "few hours" on it it has been used. therefore it is no longer NEW and it can't be NOS. ANOS?!? What is that? Actually Not Old Stock? What a load! If it's an old tube and has been burned in to test against "infant mortality" then the seller should say such and price it accordingly against genuine NOS tubes. Maybe the guarantee of no "infant mortality" has some value in the marketplace. Maybe it doesn't. Whatever the case, if it's burned in already it is NOT NOS and should be sold as such.

Powderfinger

I think ANOS means "Almost" NOS.

I agree with all the responses here. Just asked because I've seen a few tube listings recently that said "NOS" in the title and then from the description it appeared they had been used. Seems like people are using "NOS" to mean old. Thread confirms my understanding that NOS is supposed to mean never used.

saxguy

If I buy NOS I am expecting something that has never been used. ANOS, to me, means that they are used for a few hours but test as new.

Tone Meister

Personally, I find it hard to believe that this is even a question. NOS = New Old Stock. New + Never used. If it has a "few hours" on it it has been used. therefore it is no longer NEW and it can't be NOS. ANOS?!? What is that? Actually Not Old Stock? What a load! If it's an old tube and has been burned in to test against "infant mortality" then the seller should say such and price it accordingly against genuine NOS tubes. Maybe the guarantee of no "infant mortality" has some value in the marketplace. Maybe it doesn't. Whatever the case, if it's burned in already it is NOT NOS and should be sold as such.

Yep ...

diagrammatiks

well if they are properly tested nos they'll have a few hundred miles on them as it were.
i mean sure if they were sealed in a bunker somewhere they'd probably still be good
but i'd rather pay big money for a tube I know works in most cases.

Top Bottom