Are Tuners Standard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by toddincharlotte, Dec 7, 2016.

1. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I recently picked up a Cort M-Custom that's getting more airplay than I originally thought it would. It's outfitted with a Fishman Bridge and a Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo but the tuners are kind of crappy.

I'd like to get a pair of lockers for it but don't want to sink too much $ into the guitar since I only have $450 in it to start. Any suggestions? Can I just get any set of sperzel, schaller or hipshots?

2. Mincer

Mincer Member

The mounting for tuners actually varies. You sort of have to look at the current tuners' footprints and see if the ones you want to replace them with line up. Some will leave visible holes, and some will require new holes to be drilled, so a bit of research will need to be done.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have a similar Cort M900 with the die cast tuners. NICE guitar and I have no trouble with the tuners. What is happening with yours?
    Tuning machines are not at all "standard". If you replace them you will have to know the shaft hole size in your headstock (most often 10mm for cast type tuners), and how the locating pins or mounting tab screws are located.
    Sperzels need precise holes drilled for the built-in pins, Schallers have a tab that requires a screw. Hipshot does make nice lockers that come with a universal mounting plate (UMP) that does not require drilling to mount. They fit a 10mm hole. I have an extra new set of those if you are interested.