Are Two Rock Amps versatile?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bojomojo, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

I see a lot of Gear Page forum members own Two Rock Amps. How versatile are they?

2. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Very versatile if you want to sound like Tag.
    :hide (just kidding, btw)

Actually, they make a few different models. What did you have in mind? Like most amps, each model tends to have a certain vibe to it but can cover a pretty good range. Most people think of Two Rock and think Dumble/Robben Ford/Santana/Carlton etc. That's not really giving them a fair shake as that's just a small part of what they can cover. I have to say, though, that I find my Fuchs ODS (non-HRM) covers a bit more ground, but it doesn't do the Dumble thing quite as convincingly as some of the Two Rocks. The Fuchs (or at least MINE) is it's own thing, in my opinion, though it definitely has that Dumble vibe going.

If you want a really versatile amp, checkout the Guytrons. I've not owned or played one, but the clips sound fantastic and I think they're back in production. Maybe my goal for the winter will be to track one down and play it.

So many amps...so little time.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Here we go......Hold on.

4. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I'll tell ya, I have their one PCB (Shock! Horror! Blasphemy!) amp, the Jade, and it's very versatile. I'm a hi-gain dude for the most part, but I really dig this amp. This particular amp has quite a few pull pots and gewgaws that makes it very giggable, going from clean up to a decent Hendrixian level of grit without too much fuss. I'd say that short of hard rock/metal, it could do about any gig from blues, jazz, and funk to indie and janglerock type stuff. Add a boost for leads if you want, and it's pretty go.

5. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

I'm interested in the classic series. Separate head and cab.

There are no botique dealers where I live. Only Guitar Center and Sam Ash. I want to buy something that is tonally versatile even if I have gain up in the high region.

Thanks

I'm open to other recommendations. I have to trust your opinions and experience and buy long distance via web or phone.

6. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

By tone versatility I need Clean for church. Blues style breakup when I'm noodling. Hard Rock / Eighties metal for when I play along to cd's.

7. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I have found them all to be very versatile, and I've tried quite a few! The cleans are typically without fail pristine and great, then the subtleties come in the gain side. Some are more high gain than others and range in overall volume, but my history with them show to be quite versatile.

8. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Two Rocks not great for eighties metal/hard rock. Check out Egnater. better choice for an allarounder.
    That said I love Two Rocks and find them very versital but they're not swiss army amps like some.

Get yerself an Eggie and an M13. Good to go.

9. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. Help is great here.

My brother in law thinks I should go with the new Mesa Boogie Mark V since I live in a small apartment with my wife and 2 kids. A dealer said the Mark V does bedroom levels of high gain like no other amp around.

For once I want to treat myself to something nice. Everything is always for the family. My wife gave me the green light to spend money on a high end amp and that's what I wish to do.

10. bojomojo

bojomojo Member

peterdjp,

I own a Tom Anderson Classic. Great videos. Thanks for showing me what your amps can do.

11. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Hey,

That's not me. I have a Two Rock ! lol. I used to have an Egnater though.
    Other nice High gain amps I would consider would be.

Carol Ann OD 2
    Diezel Einstien
    Bogner XTC
    Elmwood Modena
    Suhr PT 100
    Soldano SLO

The Two rocks are really really nice but in gerneral not geared for heavy tones.

12. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Jack of all trades, master of none. Can't be the best at something and be versatile. Of course there's various models in the TR line up, and some are more versatile than others but I think what TR does the best is cleans, smooth overdrive and reverb. For classic rock there's tons of less expensive amps that will get you there. Or of course you can add a pedal to get classic rock out of your TR.

13. overture2005

overture2005 Member

I don't own a Two Rock but I own some other amps. Don't believe the dealer, no Boogie sounds cool @ bedroom volume. To check Bogner Anniversary, Diezel, amazing tone at any levels.

14. anais

anais Member

Ill chime in.. why not right?

I have been playing a Two Rock type 3 for a good 8 months in my live rig doing everything from jazz fusion to blues to funk to electronica and I have to say it is a great amplifier. I find the clean and dirty channel do not react to the EQ settings the same way, but they can both be dialed to extremely versatile settings. Live I only use the clean channel and push it with pedals, but in recordings the dirty channel can do many sounds pedals can not touch.. but the same can be said for a pedal doing what an amp cant.

I fear (hopefully I will not get bashed for this) many of the players using Two Rock amplifiers in these parts are going after a specific sound ala Ford, Carlton, Mayer, Kimock, etc.. and they probably feel their keystone to that tone is the amplifier.. many crappy blues licks later they put it up on the emporium scratching their heads at why they cant sound like 'him', and they go for something else. Dumble style amplifiers are put on a very high platform on TGP.. but most of these guys are playing in their bedroom or with their friends and NOT infront of a crowd.. you can have the greatest amp ever but if you do not have the environment for that amp to do what its suppose to do then it will never sound the way it is intended to do.. does that make sense?

What I am getting at is you should try one out for yourself and see if it is an amplifier that holds good response to YOUR playing/guitars and a sound YOU want. Don't just get an amp because everyone else has it, get an amp because its what you need. You just really have to play one. Speakers and speaker cabinets fall into play here too.. if some guy is playing a Two Rock through a Peavey 4x12 5150 cab with scorpions it might not sound as good through a bare birch cabinet with JBL d120f's.. so some guy with his avatar cabinet loaded with vintage 30's might hate a two rock because the bass flubs out..

If you are located in the Northeast let me know and maybe we can set something up for you to try mine out.. or PM me and let me know where you are located and I might know someone in your area that can help. Bill is one of the best guys doing the dumble thing right now, and if you want dumble tones you should at least give one a spin.. let me know brother!

15. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

If I needed one amp to do great clean to blues to high gain I would look at the PT 100

If I wanted one amp to cover all the D style tones from clean to mean and have tone to spare I would look at a CR sig or Type 3

16. xroads

xroads Member

Great response.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

The Type 1 will do all of that easily, and more. Yes it will do metal too. Great cleans, great blues, smooth when you want, and click on the FET and it will do metal all day long. (Actually, even without the FET.)

18. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet

I have an Emerald Pro. It will do these variations. I use mine w/ my XTC 101b in an either/or situation. Meaning, yes the EmPro is hanging with the Red Channel of the XTC. Depends on how you set it up/approach it.

I approach mine with either a guitar loaded with an SD Custom Custom PU and/or OD/Boost in front of it...w/ internal/external gain settings maxed, mid switch up, TT in the loop. Back off the volume, switch channels...new sound. The bottom end of the TR is (depending on xtc settings) inherently tighter than said counter part, imo. I use two cabs, both 4x12, one a BW Marshall w/ Cel. 20w (old) and a Bogner with Cel. G12H30.

Actually, many years ago, after hearing the first clip on Two Rocks site of the Empro was some super saturated high gain harmonic feedback menagerie covered in syrup, I realized that I 'might' need one (along with Tag's Unchained clip)...but...they must've changed demographic targets, cause, it didn't last long.

Anway, my TR can be/is a mean ass SOB, or a light a fluffy, pinky in the air yacht rocker...between internal trimmers and external knobs/switches....pffft.

You could also look into an XTC...:p.

19. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Anyone have an opinion on the Kustom Coupe? I spent a bunch of time playing through one and found it very versitile, especially for the money. I was digging it anyway, but you don't hear much about it. I think this is one of those you have to play first and see if it fits.

20. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Two-Rock Jet Sig and it is a very flexible little amp. The EQ is extremely versatile. It has great cleans and the lead switch can get you into crunch or full on distortion. It also sounds better than most amps I've played at low volumes.