Are vintage RI strat whammy bars really useable?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gulliver, Oct 2, 2005.

1. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have a '62 RI Strat with the stock whammy, which is set flat on the body. I want to get back into using it and plan to have it set up correctly. The guy that will set it up is awesome, and I'm not one to do dive bombs. Will this work out for me without going out of tune all the time? Is there a replacement whammy that will work better?

I'm already looking into a graphite nut and string tree, and possibly Gotoh vintage locking tuners. Do I need locking tuners?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

2. lefchr

lefchr Member

my 57 ri strat stays in tune as long as I dont, go too nuts on it;)

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Locking tuners are nice, but you don't have to have them to stay in tune. Same for the graphite - a well cut and well maintained bone nut will also stay in tune.

The vintage bridge isn't designed to be totally flat - for best trem use, set it to float about 1/32" off the face of the guitar.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes Lyle is right. You can use them and go totally nuts and they'll stay in tune. I set them up floating for my students and even the made in China strats will stay in tune extremely well when they are set right. No locking BS needed, I prefer the regular plastic Fender nut.

Once in awhile you'll find a stubborn guitar but usually it's user error when it doesn't stay in tune. From winding (little winds and very tight is right) wrong to tuning incorrectly. Usually a stock, fresh from the factory, strat will stay in tune great with a little lube here and there. I don't have good luck with two post trems. They are soggy feeling and don't have much snap back.

5. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

Best suggestion is to get some staggered tuning pegs, forget the string trees, and just add some graphite to the nut.... should stay in tune just fine...

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

Thanks for all of the great advice ... keep it coming...

Please explain what staggered tuning pegs are?

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't use staggered tuners. The vintage type Klusons work excellent. A string tree is fine and poses no problem when lubed and adjusted correctly. Yep that's right, those should be adjust to the right height too. Just enough pressure, no more.

8. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

They are what Fender uses on the Eric Johnson Strat.... I'm pretty sure you can order these through a Fender dealer...

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

I got it, thanks ... but I'd invest in a graphite tree and locking vintage tuners before these...

Additional features include staggered vintage style machine heads, thus eliminating the need for a string tree, custom pickups with countersink screws and wound to Eric's specifications, and highly contoured body and neck...

10. ricoh

ricoh Member

+1

I don't know about the exact measurement but it should float just a little. I set mine so it will pull about a 1/4 step sharp. That works great for me. I also use just three springs. I would try a simple set up before spending any $$$. Try to set it up yourself as well. Then you'll know how to do it if you change string gauges. It is not very difficult. If it does not work out you can always take it to the man!!!

Rico